Question Questions Regarding a Dell Workstation 670 Motherboard

wiomn

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
I have a Dell Precision Workstation 670 and was wondering if the CD/DVD drive connectors (IDE) on the motherboard could support a SATA hard drive (with an adapter to IDE/PETA). While the motherboard supports it, the SATA ports are not usable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Even if you got an adapter to cater to the optical drive, you won't be able to get past the bandwidth issue that is on the IDE interface. I'd suggest that you leave the prebuild alone. If the SATA ports on the board are occupied by other storage devices and they aren't an SSD, maybe swap the SSD to those SATA ports.

wiomn

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Even if you got an adapter to cater to the optical drive, you won't be able to get past the bandwidth issue that is on the IDE interface. I'd suggest that you leave the prebuild alone. If the SATA ports on the board are occupied by other storage devices and they aren't an SSD, maybe swap the SSD to those SATA ports.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, the SATA ports can't be used period, more specifically the bios can see the drive, but the Windows XP installer can't see the drive in the setup. Therefore I bought an adapter for the SATA drive to be plugged into the IDE port because the optical drive can load the installer, so I assume it would be able to operate a drive.