[SOLVED] Questions regarding a new build

Trenton5315

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my current build that I had to very efficiently budget. Now that I have some extra financial cushion, I'd like to splurge a little! Here is what I've come up with:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2RbYJb

\

Now my questions are:
1.) Is it worth spending the extra $~100 on a 9900k to future proof? I'm looking to get 3-5 years out of this machine. I am only gaming and browsing, but am worried that hyperthreading may become more valuable in a few years time.
2.) Will a 650w power supply be enough to run all of this?
3.) Is it worth spending the money on ram with C14 timings for an Intel build or is it overkill? If it is worth it, is it problematic that this isn't on my MOBO's supported list?
All help is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
1.) Is it worth spending the extra $~100 on a 9900k to future proof? I'm looking to get 3-5 years out of this machine. I am only gaming and browsing, but am worried that hyperthreading may become more valuable in a few years time.
3.) Is it worth spending the money on ram with C14 timings for an Intel build or is it overkill? If it is worth it, is it problematic that this isn't on my MOBO's supported list?
  1. Unlikely it will make a lot of difference.
  2. Yes 650w is plenty
  3. No, and no.
  1. Unlikely it will make a lot of difference.
  2. Yes 650w is plenty
  3. No, and no.

Solution
The extra 4 pin is basically never needed currently.

You can boot with just 1x8pin.

Although the max wattage an 8 pin can deliver seems to depend on who you ask, I have yet to see 1x8 pin being an issue for a mild overclock like you are about to achieve.

According to here, the single 8 pin can deliver 336w. Your 4.9ghz 9700k will never draw that much wattage.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps8

Trenton5315

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
The extra 4 pin is basically never needed currently.

You can boot with just 1x8pin.

Although the max wattage an 8 pin can deliver seems to depend on who you ask, I have yet to see 1x8 pin being an issue for a mild overclock like you are about to achieve.

According to here, the single 8 pin can deliver 336w. Your 4.9ghz 9700k will never draw that much wattage.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps8
Thanks again man. You've really been a huge help!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

TRENDING THREADS