Questions regarding data transfer from PC network to mobile network

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I am looking for information on how to send data from a normal pc network (an ethernet or 802.11 network) to a mobile cell network. I understand the basics of networking but not the "rules" of the cell phone networks.

Is there some sort of access restrictions when crossing over between these two technologies? With internet, you simply put the IP address of your destination but with a cellular destination, what is the difference here?

So for example, if I wanted to send X data to a cell phone device from my internet connected PC, how does that work exactly? I am aware of many applications that accomplish this task (like sending text messages from PC to phones) but would it be possible to design an application that would be able to send data to a cell network? Or are there fees associated with "crossing over" to a cellular destination?

Sorry if that is ambiguous, I'm looking for basic concepts. Thanks very much.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Good question. By data I mainly mean pictures, text, video, etc. It could be any kinds of data really. Lets say, for arguments sake, that I don't have a cell phone and I want to send a cell phone user a picture, video, text document, whatever. How would that work. And I don't mean what application should I use to accomplish this, I mean how would that application accomplish this? See what I mean? I'm not looking for enough information to be able to make a working model myself, I just want a basic understanding of how it might be done. Thanks very much.

In the case of you wanting to send someone something, google drive, microsoft skydrive, dropbox, mega, any file sharing site where you can restrict access to certain people would work.

email would work.

facebook messenger lets you sends files, not sure about skype, don't use it.

any cell phone charges would be incured by them for how much data they use if they pay for data.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
That is not at all what I am asking, sorry for the misunderstanding. Let me put it a different way. Let's say that I pay someone to design me an app, like a new text messaging app. If user A sends a picture/video/text document/audio file/etc, using my application to a cell phone number, what costs would be incurred here? Obviously user A (if sending from his mobile phone and mobile network sends data it would be counted towards his data cap and if user B receives said data, it would be counted towards his data cap as well. What if user A sends it using his home wifi network however and user B is connected to his wifi network when he receives it? Is there any cost in that for either user? And what about the application? Does it have to pay fees to the cell phone companies since the source and destination are cell phone numbers? Any information, articles, etc. would be of interest to me. Thanks.

your confusing cell phone number and data with wifi. if they are connected to wifi, then you can't send to their "cell number", and no, there would be no data charges over wifi, but then you are sending directly to their "app" via a username, but not their "cell number". The only way to send data like pics, videos, to a cell phone number is via sms and mms and those already exist. Anything else is just plain data and could be over wifi or whatever, but then it's not to their number.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I believe you are mistaken. I just sent a text message and multiple picture messages from my pc to my cell phone number using the (phone number)@vtext.com and (my phone number)@vzwpix.com. Method explained here: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/e-mail-messaging/how-to-send-text-messages-computer.htm.

I disabled my mobile data on my cell phone as well and connected only to wifi to do this. I appreciate your attempts to help me however I don't think you know what I am trying to find out and I would like to hear from someone else. Thanks again.

You sent it to an email address which the cell phone carrier will translate to an sms message for the text or an mms message for a picture, some which allow you to receive the mms message part, or the pictures, over wifi. again, you didn't send directly to a cell number though. it went to your carrier via email and was translated, and it did count as a txt message if you received it via your messaging app. messaging doesn't require data, only on attachments, and as I said, your carrier may allow that portion to be downloaded over wifi.

I know what I'm talking about, but whatever, I'll leave the thread alone.