[SOLVED] Questions regarding GPU VRAM

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Greetings,
So i was thinking about some common questions about Graphics card.
1/ What happens when vram exceeds? for example 2gb vram exceed in a game so who will handle/deliver the rest of the memory being processed from the system memory(RAM)CPU or GPU?
2/ As all of the GTX 1050 are 2GB like 2048 in normal some have less as mentioned like 2016 or 39 etc while mine from inno3D having only 1977mb vram in Watch dogs 2.while other games report as 2047 like Gta v so is it because of my brand or game fault?
3/How to check the actual amount of VRAM i have?
4/My 1050 has same clocks but less Pixel/Texel rate? 43.3 /54.2 as compared to the techpowerup site.
why is this so?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/inno3d-gtx-1050-compact.b3960

Thanks guys !
Peace.

1: if the VRAM overflows the remaining data is dumped to system RAM and major graphical issues will occur

2: VRAM chips much like all storage have a rated capacity and a functional capacity, 2048mb is what the modules can hold but some will be nonfunctional and some will be reserved for system usage.

3. GPUZ its a very useful program

4: Ratings are done on different cards running at different frequencies and there is also individual variance between any 2 cards. As for your low score it is quite possibly thermal throttling i would ensure temps are below 84C as that is where 10 series cards will begin to thermal throttle

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Thank you for answering both of you... I used gpuz and figured out that my pixel and texel rates are lower.. And my gpu isn't thermal throttling at all 34 idle and 67max under load ...maybe my pcie 2.1 in dell system limiting it?.
Also im still not clear... Does that reserved memory used as vram is handled by the gpu or the cpu?

Thank you for answering both of you... I used gpuz and figured out that my pixel and texel rates are lower.. And my gun isn't thermal throttling at all 34 idle and 67max under load ...maybe my pvie 2.1 in dell system limiting it?.
Also im still not clear... Does that reserved memory used as vram is handled by the gpu or the cpu?

The VRAM is soldered to the GPU and only used by it.

As for your performance deficit the other likely explanation is that you are Bottlenecked by your CPU. what cpu do you have?

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
The VRAM is soldered to the GPU and only used by it.

As for your performance deficit the other likely explanation is that you are Bottlenecked by your CPU. what cpu do you have?
Gpu handles it? Okay so can i crank up settings? And it wont hurt my cpu performance?
Yes i know its my cpu causing lags... Its an old q6600 oc at 2.99ghz
i have edited previous message