questions regarding powerline networking

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
i will be moving soon and will live a floor below my parents who have a NBN modem. obviously i cant take that modem down since they require it for the TV. wifi is not a very good option for a desktop pc, especially if i try to play online games or have to download huge files. i was told i can use these powerline adapters that one has to be connected to the modem and the other is connected to the computer through the electric plug.
the distance would be around 5 meters.

now my questions are:
1. what brand is good? is "D-link" or "netgear" better?
2. can i still get a connection when the modem is one floor above? I have no idea or my parents how the wiring is of the house.
3. do they have to be connected directly to the socket wall or can they be on a multiplug plug?

i tried to find these answers but to no avail. especially the last 2 questions. because not every room has two sockets.

wildfire707

Distinguished
They can be on a multi-plug, if you mean something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Seymour-697WCC20-Outlet-Adaptor/dp/B000BVXW58/

The problem is that anything that contains a surge suppressor (like a power strip) will block the signal. So this would not work:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-6-Outlet-Surge-Protector-Power/dp/B00TP1C51M/

As far as which brand is better, they all work pretty well. Both D-Link and Netgear are well known.

You can actually get models that have an outlet on them, so you should not need any kind of outlet splitter. I have used this starter kit in the past:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-Adapter-Beamforming-TPL-421E2K/dp/B00UVN4318/

The kit that I mentioned has 1200 Mbps Powerline throughput, but the actual network adapters are only 100 Mbps, so you are never going to get a higher speed than 100 Mbps out of them.

Good luck!

Phil-uk

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Is this the same house or are the two floors different properties, like flats? For home-plugs to work they must share the same consumer unit (breaker box), i.e. the electrical wiring is common to both floors, although separate ring mains are fine. I wasn't sure from you statement above.

To answer you other questions:
1. I have D-link Home-plugs and they work fine, Netgear are also fine, I don't have their Home-plugs but I do have several of their Gbps hubs.
2. Yes, as long as the wiring is common (shares the consumer unit). A Home-plug on a ring main upstairs will work on a ring main downstairs, mine is like this.
3. It is recommended to be directly into a wall socket but they will work on an extension, not on surge protectors though.

Hope that helps.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
yes, it is s the same house. its a granny flat to be specific. sorry i didnt make it clearer. and good to hear that even a floor below will work. the infos i always found were mainly about next room but not about floors.

ok, helpful infos here. good to know i can use a multiplug. as long it isnt a surge protector. so i will get a single pole 2 wire plug. havent seen a triple single plug in australia.