Oct 18, 2020
Okay so I've obtained got a Dell Optiplex SFF 3060. They were throwing it out at work, and I managed to get hold of one.

Specs:
  • Intel i5-8500, 6c/6t, 3.00 GHz (4.10 GHz boost)
  • 1x 16Gb 2666 MHz Sk Hynix
  • 512Gb NVME.2 SSD
The CPU is better than the one my laptop (Surface Book 2 15"), and I was already looking into building a rig for gaming to relief my laptop.
I know the power supply is limited (200W) and I want to upgrade it, so that hopefully I could buy a GTX 1080Ti and game properly.

Does anybody have any suggestions on upgrading this system? A PSU suggestion? Since it's SFF I know I'm limited, but I was thinking of
maybe just leaving the PSU on the outside of the case and using the extra space from the original PSU for the GPU.

I am not going for a super clean build, so I don't mind having to mess with the case in order for things to fit.

Solution
I would upgrade other than the parts you talk about. The motherboard likely has proprietary connectors so a standard atx psu could not be connected without adapters. When upgrading the motherboard would it be just as good to upgrade the case as well so a 1080 ti would fit.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I would upgrade other than the parts you talk about. The motherboard likely has proprietary connectors so a standard atx psu could not be connected without adapters. When upgrading the motherboard would it be just as good to upgrade the case as well so a 1080 ti would fit.

Solution
Oct 18, 2020
Sorry for the late reply.

Figured as much, was kinda hoping somebody had a magical solution but this is as good as any. I'll start looking into my options then.

Thanks!