[SOLVED] Questions regarding Windows 10 Install on an old laptop

CYapTiti

Honorable
Mar 13, 2017
I'm planning on installing Windows 10 on my old laptop which is currently running Windows 8 32 bit.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C40-A106, Specs for it include :
i3 2348m, 4GB RAM, intel HD 3000

I have a couple questions :
  1. What drivers does Windows 10 automatically download? Do I need to download my wireless drivers manually?
  2. After finishing the Windows 10 install, what stuff should I do/download? (like settings to turn off or apps to get)
Thank you before

Solution
1) Windows 10 will use its own "included" drivers. Start with those drivers and ensure that the laptop is up and stable before going on to installing specific component drivers. Check performance via Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Get a sense of what resources the system is using, what is using resources, and to what extent.

When you are ready for those specific component drivers do manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. Only one driver at a time, test to ensure that all is well, then go to the next driver.

2) Window 10 is likely to immediately go online and try to download Microsoft updates, etc. Any installed apps may try to do the same. I would pause Windows...

Ralston18

Titan
1) Windows 10 will use its own "included" drivers. Start with those drivers and ensure that the laptop is up and stable before going on to installing specific component drivers. Check performance via Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Get a sense of what resources the system is using, what is using resources, and to what extent.

When you are ready for those specific component drivers do manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. Only one driver at a time, test to ensure that all is well, then go to the next driver.

2) Window 10 is likely to immediately go online and try to download Microsoft updates, etc. Any installed apps may try to do the same. I would pause Windows updates and prevent any applications from immediate updates.

The laptop's spec's may support Windows 10 but the performance may be limited.

Overall, do not start making lots of changes and/or installing things. Go step by step and observe system performance, watch for error codes, or other issues (for example, no network connection). Fix any problem (if possible) before continuing on to the next desired/required change.

Do too much too fast and it will become difficult to identify any specific problem and the cause/reason for that problem.

Plan out the transition to Windows 10. Keep notes. Read the following link:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I'm planning on installing Windows 10 on my old laptop which is currently running Windows 8 32 bit.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C40-A106, Specs for it include :
i3 2348m, 4GB RAM, intel HD 3000
I have Win 10 installed on a much older (2009 era L305)Tosh laptop, first installed Day 1 of the initial Tech Preview.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ve-win-10-installed-on.3516627/#post-21246984

I had to download zero extra drivers or anything. Windows installed what it needed, and everything worked.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
First, start with the most current version of Windows 10 - and install it via the Windows Media Creation Tool. Once Windows has been installed, you can start removing the bloatware with Windows10 Debloater. If you have a friend or family member who is tech savvy, you can have them run Windows 10 Debloater for you. Once the bloatware is removed, your limited RAM and integrated graphics will perform better - but that said, don't expect miracles. It will be fine for web browsing but probably not for gaming.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I have Win 10 installed on a much older (2009 era L305)Tosh laptop, first installed Day 1 of the initial Tech Preview.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ve-win-10-installed-on.3516627/#post-21246984

I had to download zero extra drivers or anything. Windows installed what it needed, and everything worked.
But my case was slightly different. I have a 10 year old Acer Aspire 4739 running fine on windows 7 x86. But when i updated it to windows 10, intel hd graphics would no longer install forcing me to use the laptop on 768x1024 resolution. Had to switch back to windows 7 again to get HD graphics working and achieve full resolution.
There were no driver support for windows 10 for that laptop model.
Luckily he has driver support for windows 10.

BUT I don't think he'll be able to use hd graphics drivers on windows 10. Intel doesn't provide hd graphics drivers for windows for that CPU.
Best thing to do is try this one, hope it works : https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/toshiba/laptops-desktops/satellite-c40-a/55627

Last edited: