[SOLVED] Questions related to proposed build

Dec 20, 2018
Hello!

I'm after some advice regarding this build. It is my first build and the goal was to stay within a budget of £800. I am currently about £150 over budget.

I was unable to find the case I want to use on this site - it is the Cougar QBX Mini ITX Case.

This is what I have specked out so far:

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zwJ9QZ

Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zwJ9QZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£247.99 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£123.40 @ Alza)

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£210.20 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.79 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card (£202.46 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply: Corsair - VS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply.

The purpose of this build is (in order of importance):

Productivity - office based tasks, research etc (I'm currently a student)

Photo editing (recreational)

Video editing (recreational)

Very occasional gaming

My questions related to this build are:

Is the Ryzen 7 2700 overkill, would I be fine with a Ryzen 5 2600x or an Intel i5 9600k?

Is it worth getting 32gb of RAM for the price (£210) or is it better to set up with 16gb for half the cost and reconsider upgrading in a few years?

Is the power supply adequate - or should I consider upgrading it? - the reason I have chosen this for now is that the case will only allow a PSU with 14cm in length to be mounted.

Thanks for any advice or feedback you can offer me!

Solution
Of everything I would choose the first item to reduce cost: the memory. Yeah, you can go with 16GB and be just fine.

As far as the PSU, it is adequate but not a great PSU. On your budget I would probably accept it but expect to upgrade it in the future if you upgrade to a high end video card that would require more power.

The Ryzen7 2700 is a great CPU for multi-threaded performance but with your budget and uses, a Ryzen 5 2600x would do very well and along with the memory change might just get you down to budget.

RealBeast

Titan
Of everything I would choose the first item to reduce cost: the memory. Yeah, you can go with 16GB and be just fine.

As far as the PSU, it is adequate but not a great PSU. On your budget I would probably accept it but expect to upgrade it in the future if you upgrade to a high end video card that would require more power.

The Ryzen7 2700 is a great CPU for multi-threaded performance but with your budget and uses, a Ryzen 5 2600x would do very well and along with the memory change might just get you down to budget.

Solution