Questions Socket 940 (old vs. new)

Rize

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I thought Socket 940 was coming to an end in about August 2004 with the advent of Socket 939. However, I look on NewEgg.com today and they are selling more 940 CPU's than 939, including some dual cores and such. But they only have one socket 940 board.

If I have an old 940 board (August 2004, SK8V from ASUS) will a modern 940 dual core (etc) CPU work with the board or would there be limitations. I've been having a problem and I think either my 940 CPU or 940 motherboard is dying.

The mobo is an ASUS SK8V that I bought in August 2004. The CPU was originally an Athlon-64 FX-53 (2.4 Ghz), but the one I got had problems and AMD asked me if they could send me an equivalent Opteron 64 at (2.4 Ghz). I agreed so that's the CPU I still have.

Over the last few days I've been having some strange problems. From boot up (i.e. before the OS boots) I sometimes get serious graphics corruption (colors appear where non-black colors are supposed to be, but they appear as a scrambled mess of primary colors).

At other times everything works fine, and a few times the motherboard informs me that my "attempt at overclocking has failed" followed by a beep (sometimes I get no visible graphics and the same beep). I'm not over clocking btw; you can't OC an Opteron.

Does any of this suggest to you what may be going bad in my machine?