Questions to make sure I'm stable

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I have ventured into overclocking my cpu and I must say.....WHAT A RUSH!! lol Probably loses its fun when you have done it alot, but that first time was kinda like nerd sex lol. Sat every second waiting to own a very expensive paperweight, but I actually think I pulled it off..... At least didn't fry my processor.

Whew, now that I got that out.... I should probably let you know what I'm trying to overclock. I have a Phenom 2 1090t be, Crosshair Formula iv Mobo, and a Hyper 212 in push/pull.

I am currently sitting with a 19x multiplier and my voltage is 1.404. My voltage climbs to 1.416 when under full load. I can run Prime95 without crashes with a max temp of about 62C.

Which leads into the questions I have. First being, where can I find what is a safe temperature for my cpu?
I googled it, but got mixed results. I tried looking on AMD's website, and I think I must be overlooking it somewhere on the site.

Second question, my voltage raises when my cpu is under full load. Would I be more stable if I figured out what setting in my bios is causing that and turned it off? If so does anyone know which option that is? It makes it kinda hard to judge exactly what voltage i'm at.

Third, should I run more tests to ensure I'm stable? I've ran Prime95 for two hours so far without crashing. Also configured 3DMark 11 similar to the AMD Black Edition Overclocking Guide, and I can run it endlessly. Would that be considered stable?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
you should probably work on getting the temperatures down before you go into further stress testing. voltage hangin around 1.4 - 1.42 doesn't really matter much with that chip as long as the temperatures are lower, like high 40's for prime95. i like the nerd sex term, that was pretty funny.

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Ok, after realizing I made a huge mistake using AMD Overdrive, and it was asking for too much voltage, I have had Prime95 running now for an hour at 1.365V. Temp with Prime95 has generally sat at 48-49C most of the time, with peaking at points to 51C max. Also AOD wasn't quite reading my temperatures accurate. Discovered Everest seems to read them a little closer. Closer to safe I'm hoping. That temp is obviously safer, but safe enough for everyday? Furthermore, should I use something else to test stability at this point?

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Oh forgot to post I'm using the bios now. The person that invented AOD should be ground into thermal paste and put on my cooler to endure the heat they just put my processor through. Bios ftw!