[SOLVED] Questions: Unifi Wifi installation in a motel

Dec 25, 2019
Layout and construction
There is a motel with 37 rooms. The layout of the motel is a 2-Storey L shaped building with rooms on both floors. All walls and the floor is solid concrete. Diagram with a rough layout is attached.

Proposed topology
NBN HFC Internet connection connected to an Arris Modem. Arris modem connected to a Unifi Router. Unifi Router connected to a Unifi 8port PoE switch. 8 Port PoE Switch connected to the 4 Unifi Aps, and also the existing CCTV system and 2 wired devices in reception.
The AP’s positioning will be as per the diagram and on the top floor only.

Goal
To create a Wifi network that allows all motel guests to connect to and use whilst there. It is likely to only be used for general internet use such as browsing, emails, and video streaming.
Questions regarding internet connection and devices.

The internet connection is a nbn 100/40 internet connection. I just read about an install completed in a 181 unit block and they mentioned that during the day the average bandwidth used was 60 Mbps and during the evening the average bandwidth used for 140 Mbps. Based on this Im thinking the 100 Mbps download will be plenty for the 37 rooms here (of which not all may be occupied at any given time). Will this internet connection be sufficient for this install?

The installation and setup is quite simple. Is the proposed devises and topology the best way to go about this or is there a better way?

What is the best Unifi AP to use? 3 of the APs will be indoor and the 4th will be outdoor although under an eave so not in direct rain or sunlight?

Questions regarding 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Should I use 5GHz considering some rooms will most likely be low signal strength or just turn it off?
Is there any reason only having 2.4GHz is not a good idea and will it be around forever (or will 2.4GHz eventually be phased out as newer faster Wifi technologies are created)?
If I keep 5GHz on, should I use same SSID or separate it so client can choose whether to connect to 2.4 or 5GHz?
If I use same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, is it possible some clients will connect to a moderate 5GHz signal instead of very good 2.4GHz signal making their actual internet experience and usability worse than if they connected to 2.4?
Will the layout be suitable and will each room likely get a signal strength of at least -70 dBm RSSI considering all walls and floor is solid concrete. The APs are as per the diagram and on the top floor only?

Satellite view of building
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuTPuGBCvankgcA4fYkwXl5PSLR0WA?e=Q9K2tX

Rough diagram showing building layout and rooms
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuTPuGBCvankgcA3dax0IBJp-Dg-2g?e=06vIko

Solution
Ubiquiti APs are easily configured to LOWER the power. That means, it makes sense to add more. If your yellow dots are on the second floor, then put APs on the first floor in between them. I would also get more than an 8 port switch. A 16 port 150W or a 24 port 250W.

The nano HD is the newest indoor smoke detector style AP. For outdoor they have the AC Mesh Pro -- Don't be concerned about the "mesh" in the name. It is an outdoor wired AP. If you want just one model, the Flex HD is the newest indoor/outdoor unit.
You also want a cloud key Gen2 to provide on-site managment and statistics collection.

Which Ubiquiti router do you have (or thinking of getting)?

kanewolf

Titan
Ubiquiti APs are easily configured to LOWER the power. That means, it makes sense to add more. If your yellow dots are on the second floor, then put APs on the first floor in between them. I would also get more than an 8 port switch. A 16 port 150W or a 24 port 250W.

The nano HD is the newest indoor smoke detector style AP. For outdoor they have the AC Mesh Pro -- Don't be concerned about the "mesh" in the name. It is an outdoor wired AP. If you want just one model, the Flex HD is the newest indoor/outdoor unit.
You also want a cloud key Gen2 to provide on-site managment and statistics collection.

Which Ubiquiti router do you have (or thinking of getting)?

Solution