Quick appraisal + windows question

Sep 13, 2018
Hi all,

I recently built a new PC and now I'm preparing to sell my old one but I'm actually not sure what it's worth now so if someone could tell me a fair price to ask (AUD) I would really appreciate it.

The system includes:

Case: coolermaster scout ii
Cpu: amd FX 8350 (stable @ 4.4ghz(may go higher I wasn't brave enough to try)
CPU cooler: cooler master nepton 240m
Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair v formula-z
Ram: 16gb adata 1600mhz (may be capable of higher I didn't know about overclocking ram when I got it)
GPU: Asus ROG strix 1060 6gb (stable OC @ 2113mhz base clock- 4400mhz memory clock)
PSU: raidmax 80+bronze 600AF
SSD: 128gb adata
Generic wifi adaptor
Red led lighting

My second question is about windows, I'm planning to install windows 10 on the PC before I sell it and I was just wondering if I activate it with my windows 10 product key is there any risk to me or my copy of windows as a result? Ie: can they then go and use my product key on other systems and interfere or otherwise alter my copy of windows 10 on my new PC?

Thanks, Bull.

Solution
As long as you aren't selling a copy of Windows you don't actually own youll be fine. It is safe to put an unactivated copy of Windows on the computer. You would do the setup as normal, but instead of letting it reboot to complete the setup process, you would shut down the computer. When they first turn the computer on, they would complete the rest of the setup.

Despite the other answer here, the PSU is fine. I've had several unbranded or otherwise generic power supplies with no issues. The SSD is large enough. When coupled with a HDD, windows can take up as little as 20 GB of space, leaving 100 GB of storage to the user. To put this into perspective, on one of my machines, only 30 GB of space is used on the system drive, and I've had...
Sep 13, 2018
Sorry prince_xaine I didn't mean to pick your first answer as the solution I must have hit it by accident on the phone, tyvm for your answer though.

900 is surprising I'm glad I asked as I was going to throw it up for 4 or 5 hundred and I wasn't sure id even get that.

I've never bought a used gaming PC is it normal to sell them with no windows or drives I imagine that would reduce the number of people who would consider buying it if they didn't have the time/knowledge to install drives and perform a clean install of windows?

USAFRet

Titan
$900AUD? Not likely.

RAIDMAX PSU - junk not worthy of powering a desk lamp
SSD - too small

The best and only good part of that is the GPU.

OS...if you're going to sell it with an activated OS, you can't continue to use that license on your new system.

Most people in the market for a gaming PC would probably know how. Just to be safe, make sure you make it clear windows isn't included. I would include a SSD though. A little incentive never hurt anyone ;)

Sep 13, 2018
So if I post it as a mid range gaming tower with the SSD how much should I ask for?

My thought process was that the GPU was 450 odd new about 6 months ago when I got it so 300ish now seemed fair and then I figured 100-200 for the rest as I assumed the CPU the mobo and the CPU cooler were the only things worth anything at this point.

Also is it safe or even possible to install windows without activating it I have a bootable win 10 USB but I'm sure it prompted me for an activation code before it installed on the new PC.

As long as you aren't selling a copy of Windows you don't actually own youll be fine. It is safe to put an unactivated copy of Windows on the computer. You would do the setup as normal, but instead of letting it reboot to complete the setup process, you would shut down the computer. When they first turn the computer on, they would complete the rest of the setup.

Despite the other answer here, the PSU is fine. I've had several unbranded or otherwise generic power supplies with no issues. The SSD is large enough. When coupled with a HDD, windows can take up as little as 20 GB of space, leaving 100 GB of storage to the user. To put this into perspective, on one of my machines, only 30 GB of space is used on the system drive, and I've had windows installed for 6 months on it.

The system, even used, should still be considered a powerful machine that can play nearly any game at mid-high settings. So yes, I do believe it's worth 900 AUD. But if you're trying to sell it quick, maybe bump it down to 800 and see if it sells.

Solution
Sep 13, 2018
It's definitely still a good gaming rig it has no trouble playing games at mid-high settings and 60+fps I had fortnite running at a solid 144fps on it before I built the new pc.

Im gonna post it on the weekend for 800 and just see if I get any interest I can always lower it if noone is interested.

Thanks a bunch for your help prince_xaine I really appreciate it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This thread is complete however it bears our responsibility as moderation to respond to this.

Anecdotal evidence is not solid or acceptable evidence especially in something as important as a PSU. Just because you have been lucky enough to not burn your house down with a junk PSU does not mean that anyone can get away with using one. So discounting the many years of experience USAFRet comes in with for anecdotal evidence that "the PSU is fine" is just plain wrong.

As for the SSD, yes it will get you by, but 120gb gets real small real quick. Windows 10 is only 20GB when first installed. My system here is sitting at 30gb right now, because its used daily. My server however sits at 20gb because all it does is basically host files and receive backups. Add to that the page file and a little software and you're running low already. This user came in asking for advice on selling it, and one of the first things someone looking to buy a machine (and would discount the price a bit more for) is the fact it only has an SSD and that SSD barely has enough room for a couple AAA games when all is said and done.

Sep 13, 2018
Thanks for your input Rogue Leader,

While I agree the PSU is by no means a high quality one as USAFret and yourself have pointed out it has outlived the motherboard and GPU that originally came with the system and I don't believe it could be considered dangerous at all or I wouldn't even consider selling it to someone else.

Also I agree that 128gb SSD is small especially if it already has the OS installed on it but I also believe it's better than no storage at all, 1-2 AAA titles is a place to start at least and I would hope this would be obvious to someone looking to buy I gaming PC.

I apologise if my responses made it seem as if I completely ignored USAFret's answer that was certainly not the case but as I don't really have the money to upgrade parts on the old PC I posted my question in the hopes of getting a fair appraisal of the system as it sits now because I didn't want to rip someone off by selling it for more than it's actually worth as it is.

I'm going to leave the solution with prince_xaine as I feel he is still the only one to answer both questions but I do appreciate everyone's help and I'm happy to take anymore advice into account before I do anything.

Thanks, Bull.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Totally understandable, just wanted to make sure you weren't given any unrealistic expectations, or in the future if someone were to come across this thread they would take the advice to heart. Definitely no need to apologize, you're well within you're rights to select the best answer for you as the thread starter.

Sep 13, 2018
I understand Rogue Leader there's so much miss-information out there these days it's easy for people to get confused, that's one of the reasons I like this forum so much.

So if I may ask what would you say the old system was worth or more importantly what would you pay for it?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

In AUD I would say 550 tops. Its a running functioning systems so thats worth something, but really the only thing of major value is the GTX 1060. The CPU board, and ram are all basically obsolete (for reference recently I could barely get $60 US for 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600). The case and cooler are good, but as mentioned the old SSD is small and PSU is low end. As a complete running system though some value is added back.

Sep 13, 2018
I tend to agree with you although I'm still not completely sure I've been looking at all the Aussie buy and sell sites I can think of and I have to admit I'm surprised what passes for a "gaming" PC these days I've found many systems that wouldn't even come close to my old one from 500 all the way up to 1200 dollars so you can understand my confusion, that being said prince_xaine's appraisal does make more sense to me now I've seen the other offerings that are available.

I'm not sure if it's just the Australian PC market or if the people I've seen selling are expecting too much or perhaps just trying to take advantage of people new to PC gaming but im definitely going to think about this some more before I make a decision.

Thanks again for your help Rogue Leader much appreciated.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I will say what people are asking and what things sell for are often far different.

I deal a lot with eBay in both selling stuff and helping people sell stuff (I used to move a lot of cars on there too). I have people come to me all the time "oh my XXX is worth $X because thats what everyone is selling it for." Then i flip the little toggle on eBay which shows the listings that actually sold and what it sold for. They usually respond with "no way that can't be true". but it is... Good luck with the sale

Sep 13, 2018
Thanks Rogue Leader,

I understand what your saying I've seen it many times myself aswell.

I honestly wouldn't pay 900 for it myself much less over 1000 so there's no way I'm going to ask that of anyone else.

I think I'm going to just drop it in the middle ground at 6 to 7 hundred and see if I get any offers.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats a good plan.