doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
The question: Hard Drive, MoBo, or PSU issue? Other diagnostic tests to run?

The problem: Computer occasionally fails to boot, or boots then freezes (mouse still active, can't interact with anything) until BSOD flash and power down.

Occasionally, if I boot into the BIOS I can see that the hard drive is not even recognized. The SATA port that it is connected to is listed as "Open," yet my SATA optical drive shows up. I've switched the ports and wires, to no avail.

It's an intermittent problem... but getting worse.

What I've tested: Windows' memory diagnostics, Seagate's "SeaTools" Hard Drive test, clearing CMOS, virus scanning, swapping ports, removing everything unnecessary... no dice.

What I've not tested: Reformatting the hard drive; given its inability to stay connected, I don't want it to crash in the middle of installing the OS. Removing and testing parts; I have no spares lying around, and no other system to put parts into.

So, once again, where do you think the problem is and what other diagnostics can I run?

Thanks!

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
You wasted your time with Windows memory diagnostics, complete waste of time. For memory testing use Memtest86+

http://www.memtest.org/

But I agree with Proximon if it POSTs all the time look at the drive cable and hard drive power plug coming loose or psu itself.

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
No, it doesn't always POST. I've had it freeze on the BIOS loading screen a few times, so I couldn't even get into the BIOS to see what was going on...

I've swapped the cables between the SATA optical drive and the HDD (both data and power), and the problem still exists. They were on different 12V power lines, fyi.

Thanks Proximon and stoner!!
Any other thoughts?