Question Quick doublecheck adding SSD & SAS instead of SATA

Thedeathadder

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
OK So just want to make a quick double check before moving forward, this is for a Z420 refurbish Win 7 64 that I'll use for recording and editing only, not personal online use and such.

Tried to look up as many forum searches and videos as I could find.

Installing SSD

All I need to do is get adapter trays to make the 2.5 fit the 3.5 slots. Should be able to hook up the SSDs as if they were Sata?

Installing SAS

Need to install SAS card into system to run SAS Drive

Now do I also need to get a SAS to SATA Adapter Converter card too? I'm not sure, I saw them but I dont see in any posts or videos people mentioning them.

I'm assuming its just install the SAS card into the machine to make it so you can install the SAS drive instead of SATA.

What I'm trying to do is add

1. SSD 1TB as my main drive

2. SSD 250GB to run my DAW recording sessions

3. SSD 250GB to run my audio samples

4. SAS 2TB Drive to store things not in use

I have external hard drives as well for a whole library of this and thats

I feel like I kinda sorta have it, I know what parts are needed to finish this refurbish and use it solely for recording and editing.

Z420 with Win 7 64 OS

Thedeathadder

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
41OgIXiFcCL.jpg
Like I don't need one of these for SAS, right? Just the SAS controller card and I'm all good right? I never saw any posts or videos that mention them, but once I saw it, I was like "Wait what? What's this?"

popatim

Titan
I'm curious why a SAS HDD?
To me the added expense of a SAS controller and extra cost of a SAS HDD just isn't worth it over a Sata drive.

Sas uses higher voltages and has a larger command set then Sata.

When you get a Sas card, it will have some version of mini Sas connector on it (usually) that supports 4 drives (usually); then you order the mini-Sas version to SAS connector cable.

For example my server controller has two mini-Sas 8087 connector so I would order something like these if I were using SAS drives (I'm not)
https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Creation-Internal-SFF-8087-connectors/dp/B013G4FEGG