Question Quick dumb question about PG279QZ and speakers

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I'm switching from a Dell monitor to test this Asus out.

My Dell has a rather generically labeled "Audio out" 3.5mm jack which I've been plugging the speakers into forever. This Asus monitor's port is described as "Earphone jack : 3.5mm Mini-Jack." Is it safe to plug amplified speakers into that without blowing anything up?

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Headphone/earphone, same thing. It's fine to connect speakers to it. Just at first turn down the monitor's volume and increase it to an acceptable level so your speakers do most of the amplifying.

Thanks I kind of figured this was the case. (Otherwise I wondered if I can to run a cord to the audio output on the back of the pc)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's not much eq going through monitor though, it'll be just pure hdmi audio unless monitor has built in eq to play with. Sound can be quite bland depending on speakers.

Running speakers from the back would give you the ability to use Realtek eq via software and enhance sound if thats what you'd prefer.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
There's not much eq going through monitor though, it'll be just pure hdmi audio unless monitor has built in eq to play with. Sound can be quite bland depending on speakers.

Running speakers from the back would give you the ability to use Realtek eq via software and enhance sound if thats what you'd prefer.

I hadn't considered that. Good thinking.