[SOLVED] Quick dumb question

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
This might be the dumbest thread I have ever posted

Lets say I play for like 4-5 hours.Does my fps/performance gets worse by time?I dont know if its just me.

Solution
And THAT is why I never recommend Adata memory modules. That "part number" does not actually correspond to any specific memory kit or module. However, it clearly lists the recommended XMP profile settings right there where it says XMP-2666.

Those stick SHOULD be running at 19-19-19-43-61 timings and 1.2v. You can run them at up to 1.35v if you have problems though or they are unstable at those timings.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
What's scary? A can of compressed air held 6" away and blow it out like you are spray painting?

Think of it this way. You eat something, immediately rinse the plate. Plate is basically clean, no icky stuck on substances.

Eat something, stick the plate on the counter and get to it in a few days. No rinse will help, break out the scrub pad and elbow grease.

Same goes for a pc. Regular blow-outs prevent buildup, which combined with humidity, eventually make mud. A quick 1-2 every other week or every month and a decent hour long clean 1x a year to get the stuff you kept missing and the pc will purr for years.

Me, I watch my idle temps. My room stays 23°C year round (elderly mother-in-law) and idle is always 32°C. If it gets to 33°C, time to go to the store for a can of air, because it'll be at 34°C shortly and need a clean.
Ohh.The parts in the motherboard look "fragile" and that is why I was asking

I blow out my heatsink and the rest of the case about once per month. I have an air compressor, so I don't need compressed air in cans, but not everybody has an air compressor so those compressed air cans are a good idea. Do NOT "CLEAN" your components. Do NOT use a vacuum in your case, because that is likely to zap something with static electricity.

Do not "blast" components, simply lightly blow them off moving the air around constantly. Use short bursts. Continuously blasting air out of the can will cause frosting, and frost is basically water, so you don't want to frost components with a layer of water crystals that will melt and become water. Blow air in short bursts moving around to different areas as you do it.

As for the memory, yeah, faster memory in a matched set of two sticks would probably be a really good idea.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
I blow out my heatsink and the rest of the case about once per month. I have an air compressor, so I don't need compressed air in cans, but not everybody has an air compressor so those compressed air cans are a good idea. Do NOT "CLEAN" your components. Do NOT use a vacuum in your case, because that is likely to zap something with static electricity.

Do not "blast" components, simply lightly blow them off moving the air around constantly. Use short bursts. Continuously blasting air out of the can will cause frosting, and frost is basically water, so you don't want to frost components with a layer of water crystals that will melt and become water. Blow air in short bursts moving around to different areas as you do it.

As for the memory, yeah, faster memory in a matched set of two sticks would probably be a really good idea.
Oh.How the other guy said,if the heatsink keeps getting dusty it will be less effective.What will happen if it would be Less Effective?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu gives off heat. Heat pipes absorb that heat and take it too the fins. The fins spread that heat out over a large surface area and the fans blow air over the fins. It's exactly the same as what a body does. You sweat, step into a breeze to cool off.

Dust is an insulator. The more dust accumulated on the fins, the less effective they are at radiating heat for the fan to cool. Be like you wearing a jacket when it's 45°C outside (over 100°F). No matter how bad you sweat, the breeze doesn't reach your skin to cool you off.

The less heat the heatsink can absorb away from the cpu, the hotter the cpu stays on even simple tasks. Instead of gaming at 60°C, it'll be 70 or 80 or 100°C

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Nothing I said disagreed with what Kardjgne said. It is the same thing. It is only HOW you go about doing it that I was addressing. If you open the can and start blasting non-stop inside your case, you are going to frost your components. If you use shorter five or ten second blasts, then pause a few seconds, move to another spot and use another five to ten second blast, you are not going to frost anything.

As far as "cleaning", I mean, as in NOT using a pan of soap and water or some kind of chemical spray cleaner, inside the case on your components. Or trying to take a brush to things and "dust" them off. Use air, only.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Nothing I said disagreed with what Kardjgne said. It is the same thing. It is only HOW you go about doing it that I was addressing. If you open the can and start blasting non-stop inside your case, you are going to frost your components. If you use shorter five or ten second blasts, then pause a few seconds, move to another spot and use another five to ten second blast, you are not going to frost anything.

As far as "cleaning", I mean, as in NOT using a pan of soap and water or some kind of chemical spray cleaner, inside the case on your components. Or trying to take a brush to things and "dust" them off. Use air, only.
Ahh ok.That explains all.Thanks for both of you guys for helping me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Spray paint. Quick swipe, move on. If you hold it still too long, or repeat the exact same spot, it's gonna get messy. Can'd air is the same concept, just semi quick swipes like painting with invisible paint. And try and work in one direction, front to back or back to front or top to bottom. No point in blowing dust right back onto the area you just cleaned 3 seconds ago.

Me, I'll usually blow out a pc while it's running, starting by the intake fans and moving towards the top/rear exhausts, use them to keep the dust moving along.

But that's me, and I've been doing it since before many posters here were born. But like most old-school pc builders I've also done stuff Darkbreeze would like to smack me over the head with a baseball bat for doing. I do use vacuum cleaners, I've stuck motherboards and gpus in the dishwasher and oven and various other seemingly dumb things. But can'd air wouldn't help this 2-pack a day smokers pc. Drastic measures were required.

Last edited:
Like I said before, there really aren't any CPUs you can upgrade to, that I'd recommend as being a wise idea, on an A320 chipset board. The A320 chipset boards are more or less intended for use with the lower end Ryzen processors for basic machines. Higher end gaming systems with higher end processors should generally be used with motherboards that have better VRM and power delivery systems like the B450, X470 and X570 motherboards. Even a B350 or X370 board, depending on the model, would be better if you want to ugprade to a more capable processor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Imagine taking your lady out to a really fancy restaurant for a special meal. That's going to require you get dressed appropriately. That means nice shirt, nice pants, nice shoes. Right now you are wearing a t-shirt full of holes, shorts with ripped pockets and flip-flops.

Got that picture? That's your current pc. To dress it right, you'll not only need a good cpu (shirt) but good pants (mobo) and the right shoes (ram) or the whole effort is somewhat wasted.

Cpu cooler, rgb, gpu, m.2 NVMe, that's all bling, watch and jewelry, but that too is wasted if the pc is dressed like a bum.

It all goes hand in hand. You may need to get it all piece by piece, because of budget, but don't skimp on anything because sneakers aren't appropriate either. It's only when it's fully dressed that you'll really see the performance difference.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Imagine taking your lady out to a really fancy restaurant for a special meal. That's going to require you get dressed appropriately. That means nice shirt, nice pants, nice shoes. Right now you are wearing a t-shirt full of holes, shorts with ripped pockets and flip-flops.

Got that picture? That's your current pc. To dress it right, you'll not only need a good cpu (shirt) but good pants (mobo) and the right shoes (ram) or the whole effort is somewhat wasted.

Cpu cooler, rgb, gpu, m.2 NVMe, that's all bling, watch and jewelry, but that too is wasted if the pc is dressed like a bum.

It all goes hand in hand. You may need to get it all piece by piece, because of budget, but don't skimp on anything because sneakers aren't appropriate either. It's only when it's fully dressed that you'll really see the performance difference.
Love your examples clap clap.But replacing a mobo is difficult for me since its just like building the pc again wich I dont know how to do

That board technically supports the 8 core parts like the R2 2700 but there is NO way I'd recommend it. Maaaaybe for a six core part like the R5 2600, but absolutely not with the higher end skus on that 3+3 VRM configuration. The fact that you don't know how to do what it is you NEED to do in order to upgrade to a CPU you WANT to upgrade to, does not make doing what you INTEND to do any more likely to be successful.

In other words, just because you don't know how to replace the motherboard doesn't make slapping any CPU you want into the motherboard you have, likely to result in something that's going to work properly. The reality is, is won't. You'll have problems. You'll be sad.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
That board technically supports the 8 core parts like the R2 2700 but there is NO way I'd recommend it. Maaaaybe for a six core part like the R5 2600, but absolutely not with the higher end skus on that 3+3 VRM configuration. The fact that you don't know how to do what it is you NEED to do in order to upgrade to a CPU you WANT to upgrade to, does not make doing what you INTEND to do any more likely to be successful.

In other words, just because you don't know how to replace the motherboard doesn't make slapping any CPU you want into the motherboard you have, likely to result in something that's going to work properly. The reality is, is won't. You'll have problems. You'll be sad.
Guess I am screwed with a bottlenecked cpu🙃

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's exactly like rebuilding a pc, because that's exactly what it is. You'll pretty much unplug everything, pull almost everything out, then put it all back in again.

If daunted by the prospect, watch a lot of videos, do the research, inspect your pc by comparison. Learn about installing Ryzen cpus, cpu coolers, paste, ram, gpus, hdds. Just learning the basic layout of a motherboard and what header is what is a huge advantage.

Darkbreeze and I both lost track/stopped counting the sheer amount of pc's we've built after it hit triple digits, but regardless of the total amount, we were once exactly like you are now. Beginners without a clue. You have a decided advantage in the internet, we did it the hard way, trial and error.

If you want this bad enough, you Can do it, it Can be done. Just how bad do you want it?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Thanks.Just never knew that it was about mobo and everything else.Bust thought it was as easy.But also,I can go to best buy,there is also a place called MicroCenter were I live and do it for me.I know you would most likely prefer me learning it but I really dont got time for that since I go to school and then only have like 2 hrs.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
It's exactly like rebuilding a pc, because that's exactly what it is. You'll pretty much unplug everything, pull almost everything out, then put it all back in again.

If daunted by the prospect, watch a lot of videos, do the research, inspect your pc by comparison. Learn about installing Ryzen cpus, cpu coolers, paste, ram, gpus, hdds. Just learning the basic layout of a motherboard and what header is what is a huge advantage.

Darkbreeze and I both lost track/stopped counting the sheer amount of pc's we've built after it hit triple digits, but regardless of the total amount, we were once exactly like you are now. Beginners without a clue. You have a decided advantage in the internet, we did it the hard way, trial and error.

If you want this bad enough, you Can do it, it Can be done. Just how bad do you want it?
If Im getting a new cpu do I need thermal paste?

Reactions: Karadjgne

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Depends on the CPU. All of the Ryzen CPUs come with coolers so they come with thermal paste pre-applied. You just remove the plastic tape covering the thermal pad and install the cooler.

If you can't build a system after watching these videos, then it's a good idea to simply have somebody else do it for you who is experienced.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Thank you very much sir.Will try to do this on the weekend where I have time

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Depends on the CPU. All of the Ryzen CPUs come with coolers so they come with thermal paste pre-applied. You just remove the plastic tape covering the thermal pad and install the cooler.

If you can't build a system after watching these videos, then it's a good idea to simply have somebody else do it for you who is experienced.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Hey.Is the heatsink for the cpu only?

Either you're trying to troll us now, or the situation has clarified to the point where I'm going to agree with your earlier assessment that it might be a good idea for you to NOT try to build this system and get somebody with some experience, at the least, to help you with doing it. If you don't know what the heatsink is for, you have absolutely no business trying to install a motherboard. I'm sorry, but that is just the best way I know to help you avoid a costly and unnecessary mistake or series of them.