[SOLVED] Quick dumb question

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
This might be the dumbest thread I have ever posted

Lets say I play for like 4-5 hours.Does my fps/performance gets worse by time?I dont know if its just me.

Solution
And THAT is why I never recommend Adata memory modules. That "part number" does not actually correspond to any specific memory kit or module. However, it clearly lists the recommended XMP profile settings right there where it says XMP-2666.

Those stick SHOULD be running at 19-19-19-43-61 timings and 1.2v. You can run them at up to 1.35v if you have problems though or they are unstable at those timings.
That's why cooling should be a priority for people who game for extended periods. If your case has poor airflow, then over time heat can build up and your GPU and CPU can get hotter causing them to thermal throttle which would lower performance.

So, it all depends on if your temps stay low enough to prevent performance loss. A lot of GPUs both AMD and Nvidia and even AMD CPUs are programmed to lower clock speeds in increments at higher temps. They don't have to be "overheating" to do this, just the warmer it gets the lower the clock speeds become.

So, it could yes, but it depends on temps.

Do you mean because of YOU or because of your hardware getting "tired"? In reality, when it comes to YOU, that's probably true, but when it comes to your hardware, the only way that would be true is if you have a thermal problem that is causing some light throttling after a while.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
That's why cooling should be a priority for people who game for extended periods. If your case has poor airflow, then over time heat can build up and your GPU and CPU can get hotter causing them to thermal throttle which would lower performance.

So, it all depends on if your temps stay low enough to prevent performance loss. A lot of GPUs both AMD and Nvidia and even AMD CPUs are programmed to lower clock speeds in increments at higher temps. They don't have to be "overheating" to do this, just the warmer it gets the lower the clock speeds become.

So, it could yes, but it depends on temps.
Ok.Is there a way to check my temps while gaming?Pretty sure MSI afterburner right?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
No, 70C is fine. Above 80C is when you start to worry a little.
Ok.Thanks.Im going to get a new cpu also since my cpu is bottleneck so that also might help alot too on my fps.

Ryzen 3 1200 to Ryzen 7 2700

But my temperature keeps going up by time too.Like I said,used to be at 61 and went up to 68-70

Ok.Thanks.Im going to get a new cpu also since my cpu is bottleneck so that also might help alot too on my fps.

Ryzen 3 1200 to Ryzen 7 2700

But my temperature keeps going up by time too.Like I said,used to be at 61 and went up to 68-70
70C is a normal operating temperature for a lot of GPUs. So you are starting out good at 60C, then it gradually gets up to normal operating temp.

If you can get the Ryzen 5 3600 it will be faster than the Ryzen 7 2700 and 2700X.

It doesn't matter if you're using Afterburner or not. Afterburner is good for GPU card thermals, but it's a poor choice for CPU thermals and your thermal issue might not BE related to your graphics card. It could be CPU temps causing CPU throttling or given a lack of adequate airflow, VRM throttling. Afterburner isn't going to show you ANYTHING like what HWinfo will. And do NOT confuse HWinfo with other, inferior utilities, like HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Speccy, Speedfan or any of the bundled utilities that came with your motherboard software.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
It doesn't matter if you're using Afterburner or not. Afterburner is good for GPU card thermals, but it's a poor choice for CPU thermals and your thermal issue might not BE related to your graphics card. It could be CPU temps causing CPU throttling or given a lack of adequate airflow, VRM throttling. Afterburner isn't going to show you ANYTHING like what HWinfo will. And do NOT confuse HWinfo with other, inferior utilities, like HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Speccy, Speedfan or any of the bundled utilities that came with your motherboard software.
Oh.I have been testing my gpu and its going up(72-76 right now).Alot of people to go to task manager,my cpu usage was in 87-98 and gpu usage was at 45-50.They told me it was most likely bottlenecked(cpu)

You shouldn't use Task Manager to determine a bottleneck, for one you are tabbing out of your game to view it, which reduces load on the GPU. Also, I see you have single-channel RAM, which can present a memory bandwidth limitation in some games. And your memory timings are unusually high. Be sure you have XMP or DOCP enabled in BIOS.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You shouldn't use Task Manager to determine a bottleneck, for one you are tabbing out of your game to view it, which reduces load on the GPU. Also, I see you have single-channel RAM, which can present a memory bandwidth limitation in some games. And your memory timings are unusually high. Be sure you have XMP or DOCP enabled in BIOS.
Ohhh

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
I already have DOCP
My normal ram speed is 2666mhz

And if I turn on DOCP,it would be 2667mhz.So there is no point in doing it

Yes, there IS a point in doing it, because it changes the timings to what they are supposed to be at, rather than what the system decides it likes them at. And that can have a BIG effect on actual latency. You shouldn't assume that something doesn't have a "point" just because YOU don't understand the reasons behind that "point".

If your CAS latency is supposed to be 16-18-18 for example, and right now yours are at 20-19-19, plus the fact that you have a single memory module so no dual channel operation, you could be cutting your effective memory performance down by 30% or more.

Not to mention there are secondary and tertiary timings that could have a significant impact on your memory performance that are way out of bounds with a default setting that would be at least marginally improved by setting the XMP or DOCP profile so that the memory is CORRECTLY tuned to where it was intended to be. One memory setting being wrong can affect MANY other memory settings, for the worse, or for the better, but almost always for the worse if something is not where it was intended to be.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Yes, there IS a point in doing it, because it changes the timings to what they are supposed to be at, rather than what the system decides it likes them at. And that can have a BIG effect on actual latency. You shouldn't assume that something doesn't have a "point" just because YOU don't understand the reasons behind that "point".

If your CAS latency is supposed to be 16-18-18 for example, and right now yours are at 20-19-19, plus the fact that you have a single memory module so no dual channel operation, you could be cutting your effective memory performance down by 30% or more.

Not to mention there are secondary and tertiary timings that could have a significant impact on your memory performance that are way out of bounds with a default setting that would be at least marginally improved by setting the XMP or DOCP profile so that the memory is CORRECTLY tuned to where it was intended to be. One memory setting being wrong can affect MANY other memory settings, for the worse, or for the better, but almost always for the worse if something is not where it was intended to be.
Oh.I tought DOCP only changed speed.

No. Speed is the LEAST of the things it changes that affect system compatibility. Changes to the speed are good, but it's the timings that tend to make a configuration not willing to POST because it can't find a good training configuration for the rest of the settings if something there is wrong. Actually, EVERYTHING contained in the profile configuration is important.

TRENDING THREADS