Question Quick Electrical-Like Buzzing Noise Coming From Somewhere Inside The Computer At Startup Only -- Possibly GPU related.

Jun 19, 2019
I just bought this card, been using it for the past 2 weeks or so...

1. Press the power button, motherboard posts and OS begans loading;

2. Right when the operating system loads the display driver, I hear this distinctively weird "bzzz" noise which lasts less than a second, the screen flickers and monitor goes to full resolution as normal.

There are no other issues with the graphics card or the computer... Except for this worrysome buzzing noise.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
What is your full system spec?

It would be useful to try and find out where the buzz comes from, if everything continues normally and you encounter no other issues, it may not be anything to worry out, but first port of call would be to identify where the sound is actually coming from.

Having said that, has this issue only occurred since you got the new GPU? (Assuming this is what you mean by bought card).

Jun 19, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!
What is your full system spec?

It would be useful to try and find out where the buzz comes from, if everything continues normally and you encounter no other issues, it may not be anything to worry out, but first port of call would be to identify where the sound is actually coming from.

Having said that, has this issue only occurred since you got the new GPU? (Assuming this is what you mean by bought card).

Yep, the issue started after I got the new GPU. I also noticed a low, almost inaudible ticking noise (like a clock) coming from the PSU, but it stopped after I removed the old power bar (we call it a line filter in Brazil) I was using and plugged the PSU cable straight into the 220V mains. That thing must have been 15+ years old.

I opened the power bar out of curiosity and found out the disc capacitor inside was all fried, blackened and had its ceramic cracked.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
From my recollection the CSM series aren't great. And only carry a 3 year warranty.
The issue is you may not know exactly what part of the PSU the buzz is coming from. If it is still under warranty, I would return it, as if the buzzing is a coil for example, that can be indicative of a defective unit.

It could be stemming from how the PSU is connected to an outlet too.

Either way, a buzzing from the PSU - I would be returning to the seller.

Jun 19, 2019
From my recollection the CSM series aren't great. And only carry a 3 year warranty.
The issue is you may not know exactly what part of the PSU the buzz is coming from. If it is still under warranty, I would return it, as if the buzzing is a coil for example, that can be indicative of a defective unit.

It could be stemming from how the PSU is connected to an outlet too.

If the noise is loud enough that you don't have to focus to hear it, I'd be returning it.
What model of PSU would you recommend?

I got this one in 2017 if I remember correctly.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Realistically: PSU Tier List 2019 - anything tier 2 and up to what to aim for. With better PSUs does usually come a bigger price tag, but it really does pay for itself.

It may also be worth running a GPU stress test to see if the issue reoccurs first.
Does the screen flicker everytime you hear the buzz noise?
And just confirming that it is a buzz you hear, and not coil whine or maybe a wire being struck?

Jun 19, 2019
Realistically: PSU Tier List 2019 - anything tier 2 and up to what to aim for. With better PSUs does usually come a bigger price tag, but it really does pay for itself.

It may also be worth running a GPU stress test to see if the issue reoccurs first.
Does the screen flicker everytime you hear the buzz noise?
And just confirming that it is a buzz you hear, and not coil whine or maybe a wire being struck?
Its a buzz, like an electric arc. "Bzzz".
May be a "short coil whine"?

-- But it occurs only when the operating system loads the display driver, at which point the monitor flickers to adjust its resolution.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dHjbUmJ1o
this is what coil whine can sound like.
The best thing to do would be to test with a different PSU and see if the issue repeats, which I would bet that it doesn't.

A buzzing sound from the PSU is never usually good, especially if it is that audible. But it may be worth the test. However if it is just coil whine, it may be perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: KalyxPower39000
Jun 19, 2019
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dHjbUmJ1o
this is what coil whine can sound like.
The best thing to do would be to test with a different PSU and see if the issue repeats, which I would bet that it doesn't.

A buzzing sound from the PSU is never usually good, especially if it is that audible. But it may be worth the test.

Wow, the sound I hear has nothing to do with this. Definately something's not right. Guess it's time to save money to get a new PSU.

Thanks!

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Gotcha. Coil whine is an unfortunate side effect, but even then can usually still be returned under warranty even if it has no physical impact on the system.

Any other type of buzzing from a PSU would have me wanting to return it regardless.