Quick ESD/Static question.

dhakon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Going to attempt my first build tonight, and was wondering what would be the best way to discharge myself before working on it. The apartment I live in has wooden floors w/ almost no bare metal anywhere, and I'll probably be building it on a wooden coffee table. I have an anti-static wrist wrap and mat as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376

Using that case as well, which is coated/painted entirely. I've googled multiple times, and it seems like everyone has a different answer. Figured I'd ask here to see what people thought the best way to ground myself before working on it since the case is completely coated.

striker410

Distinguished
What I usually do is install the PSU first, plug it into the wall (but DON'T TURN IT ON) which allows me to touch the PSU to discharge myself, seeing as the wall outlet is grounded. This is a pretty effective method, although I'd unplug it before you plug anything in.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

This has been a great method for me too.

dhakon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

That was my issue though, was that the entire case is coated/painted, both inside and out, and I've read all over that it has to be unfinished metal.

Luckster

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Oh, well ive never done what striker410 has suggested but it sounds like a solid suggestion.
Sorry for misleading you.

dhakon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Never tried the PSU method, but I've only really installed a PSU/GPU before, never built one from the ground up. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the replies.