Quick help

ajramos26

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I"ve never done this before.. i have a case that has an lcd display of the cpu temperature. it has a wire with a metal prong kind of thing. Its covered in a yellow plastic. where do i attach this? To the heatsing..between the heatsink and the processor?

Thanks
aj

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It's really hard to say where exactly that sensor should go.

Depending on the MB and CPU, those items themselves will give you a temp reading from the bios, or within windows.

What MB and CPU are you building?

I'm guessing that the sensor is just to give you a case temp reading, so it wouldn't be hooked up or placed in or at the CPU like a Thermocouple. Those might be wires that just powers up the LCD, though without the manual, hard to say where.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
the thermal couple (2 dissimilar metal wires) need to placed on the cpu cooler with metal (copper) tape. This tape allows heat flow for proper reading.

The probe - the tip is ball - the point is 2 wires fused together and needs to be placed in groove in the heat sink such that (ideally) the tip(ball) just touches the cpu edge.

the TC (thermocouple) must not interfere with the cpu heat sink interface - that is: the heat sink must lay flat on the cpu. the probe should be s close as possible with out interfering with junction (they must be flat the hs and the cpu) the probe should be as close with out interfering.

ideally the tc will lay in a groove (in the heat sink) just at the edge of the cpu!

hope that helps

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I still think that sensor is just for the case temp reading, not the CPU.

It's a $39.99 case. Why in the world would try to use that sensor on the CPU?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I still think that sensor is just for the case temp reading, not the CPU.

It's a $39.99 case. Why in the world would try to use that sensor on the CPU?
Whatever it tis, I don't like it; these kind of sensors usually read 5-15°C less compared th the real core temperature so they're more or less useless and misleading.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh.. but would you secure it to the CPU? :lol:

I dunno... I wouldn't use it.. naaaaaa... I'd rather get the reading from the bios or within windows.

I have a multi-meter that has a thermalcouple. I wouldn't even use that on the CPU. :lol:

Edit:

Another thing I'd like to mention, is that the sensor for that PC Case may have been used perhaps for older socket CPU's to where you would have to thread the wiring behind the pins, if it was for the CPU. So the temp reading is taken from the back side of the CPU rather then from the contact on the die or IHS.

Now that would be impossible to do with 939, or AM2 because of the density amount of pins on the back side, since that doesn't give the thermalcouple any room. 775 would be just as impossible since it fits on like a locking key. Fitting it on the side would lead to lower temp readings side its further away from the core, and would lead to some problems with seating the HSF properly.

The only real thermalcouple I'd trust, would be the kind that is embedded in the center of IHS, so the HSF is in direct contact, without having gaps or seesaw effect with the HS itself.

Not to mention todays CPU should have better sensors to give more accurate temp readings.

Heh, and also the guy still hasn't replied on what system he is building... :?

TRENDING THREADS