Question Quick MSI afterburner question

nickfurio

Prominent
May 5, 2019
Hello just had one or two maybe questions, one is should core clock and memory clock be at 0 and what are possible recommended settings for a gtx 1070.

Thanks!

I don't ever recall my core clock and memory clock being at 0 in Afterburner on any GPU I have used Afterburner with...and that is quite a few.....but I'm not saying it can't happen (for some reason).

As far as the settings.....I leave it on auto as my cards have always performed great on auto and I've never NEEDED more than that.

nickfurio

Prominent
May 5, 2019
I don't ever recall my core clock and memory clock being at 0 in Afterburner on any GPU I have used Afterburner with...and that is quite a few.....but I'm not saying it can't happen (for some reason).

As far as the settings.....I leave it on auto as my cards have always performed great on auto and I've never NEEDED more than that.

So do I just leave it?

I would leave it. Especially if you are happy with the performance.

I don't know what resolution you are gaming at....but if it is 1080p....a 1070 should be able to handle pretty much any game on ultra settings no problem without overclocking it

...but I'm curious....do you see the clocks at zero?

I'm thinking....if the clocks are at zero....the card can't possibly work.

....and if the card is working....I don't think the clocks can be at zero.

nickfurio

Prominent
May 5, 2019
I would leave it. Especially if you are happy with the performance.

I don't know what resolution you are gaming at....but if it is 1080p....a 1070 should be able to handle pretty much any game on ultra settings no problem without overclocking it

...but I'm curious....do you see the clocks at zero?

I'm thinking....if the clocks are at zero....the card can't possibly work.

....and if the card is working....I don't think the clocks can be at zero.

Well both say +0 and can be turned down and up. Also yes I am gaming at 1080p but some newer games like the divison 2 and AC odyssey cannot be ran on ultra which are more cpu intensive but I do have an i7 8700k 3.7ghz.

Well both say +0 and can be turned down and up. Also yes I am gaming at 1080p but some newer games like the divison 2 and AC odyssey cannot be ran on ultra which are more cpu intensive but I do have an i7 8700k 3.7ghz.
I'm going from memory here so bear with me.
I think that the +0 is not the clock speed but it allows you to SET the clock speed up or down.
I always leave mine at +0.
When it is on zero I think it defaults to the GPU default clock speed.
If you really want to see you actual clock speeds...go to setting....and I think then go to "monitor" or something like that and it will allow you to monitor you clock speeds on the graph section of Afterburner.

Also if you have Riva Tuner you can monitor them on the game overlay.

"newer games like the divison 2 and AC odyssey cannot be ran on ultra which are more cpu intensive but I do have an i7 8700k 3.7ghz. "

I don't have those games.....but what happens when you try and run them on Ultra?

....and by the way....I'm talking 60 fps when I'm saying the 1070 can run just about anything on ultra at 1080p. I'm not talking 240 fps or anything like that.

nickfurio

Prominent
May 5, 2019
I'm going from memory here so bear with me.
I think that the +0 is not the clock speed but it allows you to SET the clock speed up or down.
I always leave mine at +0.
When it is on zero I think it defaults to the GPU default clock speed.
If you really want to see you actual clock speeds...go to setting....and I think then go to "monitor" or something like that and it will allow you to monitor you clock speeds on the graph section of Afterburner.

Also if you have Riva Tuner you can monitor them on the game overlay.

"newer games like the divison 2 and AC odyssey cannot be ran on ultra which are more cpu intensive but I do have an i7 8700k 3.7ghz. "

I don't have those games.....but what happens when you try and run them on Ultra?

....and by the way....I'm talking 60 fps when I'm saying the 1070 can run just about anything on ultra at 1080p. I'm not talking 240 fps or anything like that.

On ultra I can get 60 just not in certain places depending on stuff of course.

If it were me and I wanted significant;y more performance I'd go with a better gpu.
Overclocking will get you some....but not a lot.
...and with your CPU....that CPU can handle just about any GPU out there including an RTX 2080 Ti no problem....so if you have the money... ;)

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
Or to slightly overvolt an RX570 card to enable overclocking to very near RX580 performance levels if you're lucky enough to have one that overclocks well. The results seem to stick better than applying them through the AMD control panel.