[SOLVED] Quick OC Opinion Question

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is it worth it to OC a 2nd gen Ryzen 5 six-core CPU if the best you can get is 4.0GHz and you have to disable Turbo Mode to do it? My quick, limited testing seems to indicate NO. Assuming an avg motherboard, nothing high-end.

Solution
Is it worth it to OC a 2nd gen Ryzen 5 six-core CPU if the best you can get is 4.0GHz and you have to disable Turbo Mode to do it? My quick, limited testing seems to indicate NO. Assuming an avg motherboard, nothing high-end.
What are you testing with?

I feel the best test for Ryzen includes something with a mix of both highly intense, all core loads and lighter 'bursty' loads. That kind of test is going to be PCMark10 or GeekBench. Be careful if you compare to other systems because you have no idea how those systems were prepared... they may be OC'd on LN2, for all you know. And also, many of the canned and sponsored BM's favor Intel processors. So compare only to your own system, set up one way to your manual overclock and one way set up full on stock. And don't forget to also set it up with PBO enabled and optimized and test that way.

Another good test is Cinebench 20. Be sure to run the single thread test too, although the single thread test is also pretty heavy and not as 'bursty' as PCmark or GeekBench.

But in the end, I think you may be right but it depends an awful lot on what kind of workload you give your processor, and how far it's pulling clocks as it heats up under that workload when left to it's own boosting. How much it pulls clocks in turn depends on how good the cooling it has.

Last edited:
What is the main objective of the Overclock?
Performance? Or most of the perfomance but with lower voltages and temps?

To me at only 4ghz it's really not worth the time and effort of testing when it can do better on Pbo (performance wise) but at the expense of higher voltages and temps.

On my 3600x I went the route of most performance with lower voltages/temps.

Have A Good 1 Guys

View: https://m.imgur.com/a/0Wq6KxP

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/43706021

Solution