Quick Operating System Question, (Probably Easy)

LilWhiteChris

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2014
I'm going to be building a new pc.
I wanted to put a separate SSD in for my Operating system ONLY.
I thought this would be handy incase I wanted to do a fresh install and not lose any other data/programs.

Question is:
If my OS Is on a separate SSD when doing a fresh install of windows, would I need to do anything for it to recognise all my other programs and files already installed on my OTHER SSD?
In other words would everything be just as I left it, no need to fiddle with anything to get my OS to talk with my other SSDs? Just start her up and away I go?

I'm just thinking can I really be that easy?
Thanks!

No

While many programs will let you install most of their files on another drive instead of C:\program files\
they will still use the Registry in c:\windows\system32\config

If you re-install windows you will have to re-install most programs as well

regards
Mike Barnes

D JAY Cva

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
it will work for some application and wont for some ... there are some apps that actually access program data folder in OS drive to run the apps , and also dont forget about windows registry where most programs store the settings and configuration details ... for example ms office wont execute if you had the program installed in a different drive and decided to fresh install the OS ..

LilWhiteChris

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2014

Okay... Didn't know that! if that's the case then I see no reason to separate my OS from my programs thanks!
What about just music files/photos/videos, if they are saved on a separate SSD they must still open surely?

USAFRet

Titan

Correct. You want the OS and the applications on the same drive.
Reinstall of the OS also means reinstall of the applications, so no real benefit in having them on a different drive.
Plus, having the applications on the SSD means that they run at that SSD speed as well.

For your Doc/Music/Video/Downloads, see this:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

For Steam games on a different drive, this:

In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
5RXQa0Y.jpg