Question Quick PCIE bandwidth question

SnowMN

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Hello to everyone,just a quick question i am about to upgrade my gaming pc and i wanted to get my facts right about the mobo im going to get.
Its the Asus rog b660 - F gaming wifi ddr5 and my question is based on the manual,since i got 2 nvme pci amd one sata ssd none of the slots available for m2 will cause sata disables or share my gpus pcie x16 bandwidth.
Did i get that right?

Thanks in advance

USAFRet

Titan
According to the spec sheet:

It says nothing about SATA ports being disabled due to use of an M.2 drive in any port.
Ergo...it does not disable any.

SnowMN

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
One final question,lets say a cpu has 20 lanes 16 pcie 5.0 and 4 lanes pci 4,if i had a nvme in the first slot right above the 5.0 pcie slot which for some alien reason needed x5 lanes then since it and the gpu both draw from the cpu lanes the gpu would be at x15 for example right?assuming one had it on the pci 5.0 slot always

USAFRet

Titan
One final question,lets say a cpu has 20 lanes 16 pcie 5.0 and 4 lanes pci 4,if i had a nvme in the first slot right above the 5.0 pcie slot which for some alien reason needed x5 lanes then since it and the gpu both draw from the cpu lanes the gpu would be at x15 for example right?assuming one had it on the pci 5.0 slot always
Put the NVMe drive in a port that uses the chipset lanes, not the CPU.
Totally discrete.

It does work that way the first NVME slot has 4 pcie 4 lanes from the cpu.

I suspect the confusion was when you talk about using 5 lanes which is not a option. There is no option to run in any other configuration. It runs 16 lanes to slot1 and 4 lanes to the first nvme slot.

Now there are some high end asus boards that do stuff like run PCIE 5 lanes to one of the NVME slots. That would require you to split the 16 between the video card and the nvme. Your board is much simpler and does not support that. Everything else is being run off PCIE lanes that come from the chipset.