[SOLVED] Quick question about formatting

Jan 18, 2020
I have a store and my database/server is installed on my [C:] Drive [Win7] but I don't have the installer anymore. I was planning to reformat my drive [Upgrade to Win10] because it's been running slow. It's not downloadable through the internet 'cause it was just passed on to me a few years ago. Is there any way to back it up without leaving any files at all? All my store records are in it and I can't afford to lose any data. I had an idea that to add an additional hard disk drive that is fresh [Windows10] but I'm not sure if I can use all the files of my old hard drive.

Solution
I have a store and my database/server is installed on my [C:] Drive [Win7] but I don't have the installer anymore...
How do you access the database files? Do you have a specif program to retrieve and save data from the database?

I was planning to reformat my drive [Upgrade to Win10] because it's been running slow. It's not downloadable through the internet 'cause it was just passed on to me a few years ago. ...
Just by installing Windows 10 your computer won't magically run faster.
If that PC is not used to connect to the internet, you could just clone the disk into a faster SSD and keep Windows 7.

Is there any way to back it up without leaving any files at all? All my store records are in it and I can't afford to...
Jan 18, 2020
If your system is connected to the internet you can download the Media Creation Tool and upgrade it with that without losing any data. As long as you have atleast 8GB Free

TBH my real intention was to replace the Drive. Is it possible to just copy the installation folder of the program to the new drive ? Is it 100% guaranteed that all the files that is needed will be copied? As I remember, there are some DLL files that are installed on a different path when installing a program.

USAFRet

Titan
TBH my real intention was to replace the Drive. Is it possible to just copy the installation folder of the program to the new drive ? Is it 100% guaranteed that all the files that is needed will be copied? As I remember, there are some DLL files that are installed on a different path when installing a program.
No.
That is 100% guaranteed to fail.

This sounds like it needs some serious investigation and planning.
Give us as much detail as you can.
Hardware, software, etc, etc, etc.

I have a store and my database/server is installed on my [C:] Drive [Win7] but I don't have the installer anymore...
How do you access the database files? Do you have a specif program to retrieve and save data from the database?

I was planning to reformat my drive [Upgrade to Win10] because it's been running slow. It's not downloadable through the internet 'cause it was just passed on to me a few years ago. ...
Just by installing Windows 10 your computer won't magically run faster.
If that PC is not used to connect to the internet, you could just clone the disk into a faster SSD and keep Windows 7.

Is there any way to back it up without leaving any files at all? All my store records are in it and I can't afford to lose any data.
I assumed you have backups of your data if you "can't afford to lose any data." A slow disk could be a sign that the disk its close to the end of its life span.
In which format does the database files are saved?

I had an idea that to add an additional hard disk drive that is fresh [Windows10] but I'm not sure if I can use all the files of my old hard drive.
You could add a new disk and install Windows 10 on it, keeping your old disk with Windows 7 on a dual boot configuration. If going with that, make sure disconnect the Windows 7 disk while installing Windows 10 so it doesn't write anything on your old disk.

Last edited:
Solution