Question Quick Question about MemTest86 Results

The_Gen_Eric

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
After coming back from vacation to frequent blue screens (after another debacle with frequent blue screens a few weeks prior), I ran through MemTest86 and found that Test 1 failed 8 or 9 times (the initial test screen displayed 9, while the results screen displays 8), with the lowest error address at 1288MB and the highest address located a 10927MB. My question is, does this information give any clue as to where the issue lies, like if it's in both sticks, one stick, if it's a memory issue at all or something else, etc?

like if it's in both sticks, one stick, if it's a memory issue at all or something else, etc?

I suggest if you have a question about memory, that you post the part number of it. Generally, if you have any errors the memory is defective and can be replaced under warranty for free.

D

Deleted member 14196

it looks like defective memory, and, if you are going to replace it, get a new kit and ditch the old ones. no need to monkey with voltages. not good or reliable way for most folks to fix it thus not recommended. you can test one at a time if you want, but mixing ram sticks is generally not a good idea.

The_Gen_Eric

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
As a short update, I ran through MemTest86 with one stick at a time and both came out clean. However, I ran a total of 8 passes through Stick A and have only done a total of 4 for Stick B, so I'm going to let Stick B run for 4 more passes before testing both again. Is it possible that either it will only have issues together, or that reseating it fixed whatever was causing the issue?

The_Gen_Eric

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
For reference, here's my specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro-M2
Ram: 2x8GB G.Skill Flare X 2400 Mhz
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

And yes, the RAM was purchased in a kit.