Quick question about selling parts after an incident

Arth_1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
My brother changed my SSD’s drive letter from C: to X: after a Skyrim mod guide told him to while I was on vacation. This SSD had windows 10 on it and will no longer boot.

Instead of getting it fixed, I’ve decided to part the PC out.

My question is: can I still sell everything besides the SSD or are other parts somehow, someway affected by my brother’s stupidity? Asking as a precautionary measure because I don’t want to be the asshole who sold somebody messed up hardware.

DaaveMB

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
changing the drive letter won't have damaged any part of the PC in any possible way.

PS: I doubt very much that any Skyrim mod guide would advise changing the OS drive letter.

USAFRet

Titan

No physical damage happened from your brothers actions.
(except maybe to your brother)

DaaveMB

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Ah, I see now, that's not actually a mod guide, It's somebody's entire Skyrim mod organizer folder. Basically it suggests changing the drive letter to X as that is what they used for their install and would prevent people having dir structure/pathing issues when using this setup. (chances are this setup includes default Skyrim files - exe,dll etc) so is quiet possibly illegal to download and use anyway.

As for the SSD it will be fine. changing a drive letter can not physically harm the hardware.

USAFRet

Titan

Why sell it?
Fixing the entire system is, at most, just a reinstall of the OS and all your stuff.
No silicon was physically harmed.

For you to recreate the system, maybe 2 hours.
For me, maybe 20 mins to recover from last nights backup.

The short meatsack, however...

Arth_1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
The issue is the PC will no longer boot to the OS for obvious reasons, but my monitor for some reason will no longer react to the BIOS being loaded up which means I effectively can’t boot to that either. You guys are much smarter than me, so if something could be done to fix it that’d be great

USAFRet

Titan

Do you have some sort of boot media? Either Windows or Linux?
Whatever he did with the Windows OS and drive letters would not impact the BIOS.

When you power up, what happens exactly?

Arth_1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I don’t have any boot media. Only thing I’ve got is a Windows 8 installation disk (the PC ran windows 10). When I boot up, my monitor flicks on and I’m presented with a black screen and a movable mouse, nothing more. When I boot up and spam delete to get to the BIOS, my monitor displays “no signal” and then turns off

USAFRet

Titan

Are you sure that DELETE is the proper button to interrupt the boot process and get into the BIOS?