[SOLVED] Quick question about spill on mechanical keyboard.

nazzzz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
I spilled some beer on the numpad of my mechanical keyboard. It was still working after the spill, but I almost immediately unplugged it, took it apart, and used some isopropyl alcohol to clean the pcb as well as the keys and switches. I then let it dry for 3 days before attempting to connect it back to my PC. When i plugged it back in, the backlight lit up but it was not typing. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in, and now even the backlight wont turn on. All that happens is that it flickers once when I plug it in.

I did notice that if I move the connector from the USB to the PCB around, the lights will flicker on and off again, depending on the position of the cable.

Basically, I'd like to get a second opinion on whether or not its dead, or am I just doing something wrong.

Solution
There may be some moisture in there yet. Try hitting it with a hair dryer. Stay back about ten or twelve inches (25 cm). If you have a vice or something that will hold it you can put the hair dryer on low setting and just let it go for an hour or so. You want the thing warm but not melting. Otherwise just be thankful you're not using a laptop where all the innards would be below that keyboard.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
There may be some moisture in there yet. Try hitting it with a hair dryer. Stay back about ten or twelve inches (25 cm). If you have a vice or something that will hold it you can put the hair dryer on low setting and just let it go for an hour or so. You want the thing warm but not melting. Otherwise just be thankful you're not using a laptop where all the innards would be below that keyboard.

Greg N

Solution

TRENDING THREADS