[SOLVED] Quick question about SSD and HDD

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Hello there. Just installed my new SSD with Windows 10 on it. I had to take out my HDD because that also had Windows on it, so now I am just running with my 120 GB SSD. I realized that 120 GB is probably not enough and I will need some extra storage to take care of my download folder and such. If I were to plug in my HDD while my SSD was running, would something corrupt? Would the 2 OS's merge? Would I bluescreen? Please, somebody help.

PS: Is there a way to wipe the HDD without installing a new OS? Like, just clean it and it act like it just came out the store?

Solution
in order asked.
1 do not do that. shut down the PC and then connect the HDD, then boot to the SSD.
2 no you can only boot to one or the other. the os on the booting device will be the boss.
3 possible, this is windows here, BSODs happen.
4 once you have backed up what you need from the drive and are sure you do not need anything on the HDD you can format it within windows.
ps: boot to the SSD and format the drive in windows explorer. once it is formatted you can use it like a fresh drive from the store.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Hello there. Just installed my new SSD with Windows 10 on it. I had to take out my HDD because that also had Windows on it, so now I am just running with my 120 GB SSD. I realized that 120 GB is probably not enough and I will need some extra storage to take care of my download folder and such. If I were to plug in my HDD while my SSD was running, would something corrupt? Would the 2 OS's merge? Would I bluescreen? Please, somebody help.

PS: Is there a way to wipe the HDD without installing a new OS? Like, just clean it and it act like it just came out the store?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked.
1 do not do that. shut down the PC and then connect the HDD, then boot to the SSD.
2 no you can only boot to one or the other. the os on the booting device will be the boss.
3 possible, this is windows here, BSODs happen.
4 once you have backed up what you need from the drive and are sure you do not need anything on the HDD you can format it within windows.
ps: boot to the SSD and format the drive in windows explorer. once it is formatted you can use it like a fresh drive from the store.

Reactions: madartzgraphics
Solution

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
You can run both the ssd and the hdd at the same time.Switch off pc and plug in harddrive.Boot up pc press del or F2 go to bios.Look for boot priority and make sure its set to your ssd.Boot into windows.If you want to format the hdd.Go to This computer(windows 10)or my computer(windows 7)Right click on the hdd and press format.