Quick question about upgrading to a SSD

Solution

DiegoD

Honorable
May 12, 2015
You'll need to backup the data from your current HDD onto another drive. When you install windows onto the ssd you will need to format the HDD to use it as a secondary drive. After installing windows and partitioning your HDD you can then move all your files, except windows, back onto the drive. If you have programs or games don't bother backing them up, as you can reinstall them. Just focus on backing up files and media, anything that would be lost forever.

Just a tip for when you are reinstalling windows: Don't plug your HDD in until after windows is set up on your ssd and make sure the PC is unplugged when you do so.

DiegoD

Honorable
May 12, 2015

You could clone the drive to the SSD, but unless the SSD is also 1tb don't do so. When cloning drives it is best to make sure they are the same size as it eliminates partitioning and sizing issues. On top of that, you plan on using the HDD as a secondary drive so there is no point of cloning the information to your SSD.

New install is the best way I agree. Cloning is the simplest and fastest, depending as you said on the destination drive capacity though many of the paid cloning applications do offer advanced partition resizing and moving options. Typically if I am reusing the old drive I will just uninstall all the software leaving the OS, then clone, then reinstall everything on the old HDD (now secondary). Quick, dirty, and it saves all my precious settings etc etc. but it can leave a mess in the registry. CCleaner helps with this but still....It really depends on the machine (OEM or Homebuilt) the state/age of the windows install and how much time I have.

DiegoD

Honorable
May 12, 2015

I agree, and I as well have done the same a few times. However, while it may be an easy process for the experienced, it isn't necessarily easy for the new. With no help, it would most likely take longer and if the process does not go right, he'll end up spending more time.

If you don not have settings that would be more than a pain to re-configure than don't bother. You'll get that new clean feeling, anyways. There is something so nice about a clean install of windows.

Edit: You do still have another option. You could remove the boot partition and the windows files on your current HHD and then use it as is. Probably the solution you were originally looking for. But still if you do not have to much information to copy over than go with the wipe.

Solution