[SOLVED] Quick question about USBs

SteveTheMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
When determining whether a USB port is 2.0 or 3.0, are all USB 3.0 ports blue? I have one port on my computer that is light blue, while all the other ports are darker blue and I'm a bit confused about which ones are USB 3.0 and which ones are not.

Solution
Good info above. Take a look at this article and its photo.

On the 2.0 vs 3.0 question, you can tell by looking closely into the socket. A USB2.0 socket has only four contacts as flat strips that come right to the front edge - see second item from the left in that photo. A USB3.0 socket has those same four contacts across the front, PLUS behind them FIVE small contacts. In the photos, you can see them as slightly raised behind the front ones.

Distinguishing between varieties of USB3 Type A sockets is tougher. One good clue to help is the suggestion in the article to check in Device Manager the details of what types of USB ports your...
well
usb 2.0 is usually red or black
usb 3.0 is usually deep blue
and usb 3.1 and 3.2 is usually light blue.

but you cant really know, check motherboard manual/pc manufacturer site.
as thats a USUALLY, msi lots times has all the ports red
and razer has all of em green

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Good info above. Take a look at this article and its photo.

On the 2.0 vs 3.0 question, you can tell by looking closely into the socket. A USB2.0 socket has only four contacts as flat strips that come right to the front edge - see second item from the left in that photo. A USB3.0 socket has those same four contacts across the front, PLUS behind them FIVE small contacts. In the photos, you can see them as slightly raised behind the front ones.

Distinguishing between varieties of USB3 Type A sockets is tougher. One good clue to help is the suggestion in the article to check in Device Manager the details of what types of USB ports your system actually has. For example, if it says you have four USB2, four USB3.0, and one USB3.1, you know what to look for.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS