Senor Snarf

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I'm getting this RAM tomorrow to build my new gaming rig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

I just have a quick question about it. The reviews say it's good RAM but at stock it runs at 1.8v, which is no good because it needs to run at below 1.65v for the Core i7 920 processor. I've find some good/simple guides to actually changing the voltage/ timing, but is there more to it than that? Can I simply go into the BIOS and set it to the advertised speed and voltage?

I just want to make sure I don't have to mess with the CPU settings or anything to keep everything stable. Any insight?

Thanks!

Solution
Almost all :heink:
I just saw a hand full saying that myself...

Regardless, I would recommend always manually setting the RAM voltage, timings and speed in the BIOS.
It is very simple to do (takes about a minute) and it will insure that you have no issues with your build.
If you have concerns about modifying anything in the BIOS, perhaps you should look into a different set of RAM.
This OCZ Gold set will save you $10 and there are no reports of it using a voltage higher than 1.65v at stock.
Not sure where you are getting 1.8v from?
According to the specs, this set is rated to run at 1.65v.
If you get a set that requires 1.8v, you should immediately RMA it as it is faulty.

+1 o1die, the CPU and RAM settings are separate.
As long as you do not increase the QPI to raise your RAM speed, you will not have to mess with any of your CPU settings.

Senor Snarf

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
The specs say 1.65v, but almost all of the reviews say to make sure you set it manually because for some reason it will run at 1.8v. I normally wouldn't have bought something like that, but the reviews say it's great once you set it so I figured that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Almost all :heink:
I just saw a hand full saying that myself...

Regardless, I would recommend always manually setting the RAM voltage, timings and speed in the BIOS.
It is very simple to do (takes about a minute) and it will insure that you have no issues with your build.
If you have concerns about modifying anything in the BIOS, perhaps you should look into a different set of RAM.
This OCZ Gold set will save you $10 and there are no reports of it using a voltage higher than 1.65v at stock.

Solution

Senor Snarf

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Guess I misremembered, but there was a significant amount of people talking about the problem so it stuck out it my mind. I was going to get the Gold but a few people on here suggested the Platinum over the Gold, so I decided to give it a chance. Setting up the RAM can't be too hard. Anyway, thanks for the help guys. UPS should be here within an hour or so.

Latest posts