[Quick Question] Corsair or G Skill?

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Might be a very easy question for you guys. I just got confused by these 2 models because they have the EXACT same price.

Corsair: http://en.ksp.co.il/?select=.1038..392..796.&list=1&sort=3&glist=0&uin=15188&txt_search=&buy=&minprice=&maxprice=

G Skill: http://en.ksp.co.il/?select=.1038..392..796.&list=1&sort=3&glist=0&uin=16277&txt_search=&buy=&minprice=&maxprice=

Now I know the G Skill one is faster but I was wondering does the Corsair one has any other features in that model to match up to the speed of the G Skill one or is it just that expensive (as much as the G Skill one atleast) for the Corsair name?

I wouldn't be asking this question if I didn't care to ruin my Corsair look inside the new PC which has almost everything Corsair, but I just want to make sure that the G Skill is noticeably faster to actually get it instead of the Corsair one.

Thanks.

Solution
G

this might be a little "dated" (pre ivy bridge) but it still holds valid and may help with all your questions along the way:
Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

on the last page:
Final Words

I think we confirmed what we pretty much knew all along: Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this...

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Well yeah but I well know that Corsair pays close attention to other details too. Might the Corsair version be quicker for having a feature or something that makes it as fast as 9 or something? I really want a justification to get it.

Thanks.

jemm

Distinguished
Apart from the latencies both kits have the same features, so in this particularly case G.Skill will be a bit quicker in response, as timings are lower.

Both of them have heat spreader, tough the Corsair looks nicer :)

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I know it looks nicer ;p
I have most parts Corsair in this built, and I don't wanna ruin it.

Which do you think can go better with overclocking because I am actually planning to overclock it as much as I can. The Corsair heatsink looks it can take hotter temps than the G Skill.

What do you think? And I do hope you're getting your info a/o experience from trusted resources.

G

why overclock the RAM?
if you have an intel rig, it will only show in benchmarks and not in real world usage; 1600 speed is the "sweet spot".

if you have an AMD rig, which will actually show an increase, get 1866 and save yourself from a lot of potential headaches.

but if you either are the type of person that wants to do something "because you can" (nothing wrong with that) or have an AMD rig and can't afford the 1866; generally the overclocking benchmarks i recall seeing, the g.skill does well and corsair are generally ok. the "tighter" timings of the g.skill will help also because you will most likely have to "loosen" them to get a more stable overclock ie. go from CL9 to CL10.

just my thoughts, good luck.

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply man. I really didn't know that OCing the memory in an Intel rig can't show real performance. Thanks for the tip. But what will a 2400Mhz 10-12-12 RAM actually provide me more than, lets say, a 1866Mhz? It's essentially a 1866Mhz 10-10-10 OCed to 2400Mhz to get 10-12-12 or is it? I'm really confused lol.

Thanks

G

this might be a little "dated" (pre ivy bridge) but it still holds valid and may help with all your questions along the way:
Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

on the last page:
Final Words

I think we confirmed what we pretty much knew all along: Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.

pretty good article as a whole. in gaming there is absolutely no difference. as stated in the conclusion the only component that scales well with overclocking is the cpu in terms of real word performance.

Solution

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Ok guys I've narrowed my decisions to other 2 Corsair 4x4GB sets.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m4a1600c9.htmlx

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m4a1600c9b.html

Clearly the Blue version states "Now available in Cerulean Blue to match motherboards supporting the 2nd generation Intel Core processor family." I just want to ask because I'm getting a 3rd gen Ivy Bridge, is that going to be a problem?

I mean, I'm reading articles about them being just different colors, but I dunno about that little piece of info Corsair added about the 2nd gen.

G

there is no difference between the two except for the color of the heatspreader.

don't let outdated marketing throw you off; hence the reference to sandy before ivy came out. if it works on sandy, it works on ivy.