Question Quick question fans vs temperature

Rudigarcia222

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hi guys first sorry for my english. So I got an rx580 sapphire. With the stadar mother Settings my fans start at 80-90 c a number I think is too big. So I optimised with wattman, made a custom curve and it works even on ultra Settings max at 60 a very good number.

IF I DONT CARE ABOUT THE NOISE

My question is it fans>temperature?? or. Temperature >fans??
Is it easy for my fans to go off? Should I accept some higher celsius for the fans not to work? (you know what I mean not not work at all and go 90-100,just somewhere in middle)

Lutfij

Titan
The card that you own has been known to blow up, die or even burn from it's own heat. If you've made a curve that has the fans to start at a lower temperature than before, you're good to go! Outside of that, make sure that the airflow in your case is optimal. Speaking of which, what is the make and model of your chassis?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The card that you own has been known to blow up, die or even burn from it's own heat.
Where have you seen that?

@Rudigarcia222 look into undervolting. It can lower temperatures without having to increase fan speed. While running a stress test (like Unigine Valley benchmark), start lowering core voltage (for p state 7) in AMD Wattman software. Keep going until it crashes or you start to see graphics glitches. Then go back to the last voltage before that happens and let the test run for a while to make sure it's stable.

Rudigarcia222

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Outside of that, make sure that the airflow in your case is optimal. Speaking of which, what is the make and model of your chassis?
Ι got ryzen 2600 /16ram corsair/ mobo tomahawk /case nzxt s340case/psu corsair cx and even an extra cpu cooler /you know hardware that top every 1080 list. (The Gpu is sapphire nitro). Also the airflow is pretty solid.

I also wanted to ask about the heat thing you mention. In the Amazon page I read very good comments about General function.

My starting question was more about how much the use of fans is too much

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
The use of fan's being too excessive is quite subjective. Basically, if it's annoying or bothering you, it may be too much depending on the unit's temperature of course.

For instance, if all you are doing is surfing the web & your GPU fan(s) are loud enough that you want to drown them out with other additional noise sources (i.e. music, YouTube cat videos, whatever) than I would consider that too loud, or "too much" noise in this instance, especially if your temps are under 70 C or even 80 C.

Surfing the web can be considered a light load, provided there aren't 20+ tabs open & there isn't a Full HD or higher resolution video playing in one or more of those tabs.

The best way to answer your question is for you to answer another question: At what point are you not comfortable when it comes to your GPU's temperature? 70C? Set a fan curve there. 75? Set the curve there. You don't actually have to have your fans ramp all the way to 90-100%. Start small, 15%-20%. Depending on the effectiveness of the cooler & the airflow in your case, that may be enough to bring down temps without excess noise.

Hope that helps, even though I know it comes a bit late since you posted.