[SOLVED] Quick question in regards to RAM slots

JuJooGuppy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hi all, I have a question (as the title states) regarding RAM slots, and what I can do without hindering performance.

Currently, the heatsink I have blocks my B1 RAM slot ( They go in order of: B1|B2|A1|A2 if looking straight at the board), so, I have my dual channel RAM in slots B2 and A2 accordingly. Ive been using this way for years, not sure if it hinders anything or not but hastnt seemed like it in my experience.

Generally my 16GB of RAM is plenty for everything I do.. but I have ONE game that is a RAM monster (Cities Skylines) when you use a lot of content with it. So, I was wanting to add RAM when I remembered, the heatsink issue.

Obviously, I cant get another set of dual channel, since the type of RAM I have is just a tad too tall to fit under the heatsink. But, my question is, could I buy essentially the same RAM but in a single stick format, and safely slot that into my A1 slot that I have access to, without hindering performance? Will it hinder because id have one set of dual channel and a solo stick? or would performance be fine?

I realize the other route would be to just replace my two current sticks with bigger n better so to speak, but thats more costly than Id like to do just to get a little more performance from a single game.

Thank you!

Solution
Since getting another set of ram won't match with your current set, and getting a whole new set of ram is a waste since you will have your old ram you cannot use, I would actually change the heatsink. Heatsinks are generally cheaper and then you can add another set of identical ram or whatever you need to do per the motherboard qvl.
Since getting another set of ram won't match with your current set, and getting a whole new set of ram is a waste since you will have your old ram you cannot use, I would actually change the heatsink. Heatsinks are generally cheaper and then you can add another set of identical ram or whatever you need to do per the motherboard qvl.

Reactions: JuJooGuppy
Solution

TRENDING THREADS