Question Quick question: Intel vs. AMD CPU

Jun 19, 2024
After reading everything possible about Intel vs. AMD for my new build, I keep seeing one particular thought in most threads. In general, AMD is better for gaming but falls behind in productivity. It's kind of the other way around for Intel.

Question: Can someone clarify "productivity", with examples? I'm trying to see if productivity applies to me and if it's something I should even consider when buying a cpu.

Thank you

Reactions: artk2219
After reading everything possible about Intel vs. AMD for my new build, I keep seeing one particular thought in most threads. In general, AMD is better for gaming but falls behind in productivity. It's kind of the other way around for Intel.

Question: Can someone clarify "productivity", with examples? I'm trying to see if productivity applies to me and if it's something I should even consider when buying a cpu.

Thank you
There's a drop down menu at the bottom of each page.

It seems to me to be that "productivity" is most often used as a catch-all term for "non-gaming", rather than something highly specific. Could mean a PC for grandma to do crossword puzzles or something much more powerful....but not with a gaming emphasis.

It could mean no gaming whatsoever. Or where gaming is of slight importance.

Gaming is quite often the most important purpose of the PC, so gamers want to emphasize that aspect. "Productivity" is useful as a term to draw that distinction for people who have little or no gaming interest.

At every price point, AMD and Intel have comparable products.
I might define productivity as a workload that can fully load all processing threads.
To evaluate that, look at the passmark ratings. The top chips will have a rating >60000.

Games can effectively use relatively few processing threads. Perhaps6-8 and multiplayer can use more.
There are exceptions.
The key for gaming is fast processing of the single master thread.
To that end, the amd x3d processors excel.
Their huge cache is a big benefit.
For productivity, the x3d cache gets emptied and the base processor works better.

Thank you
I guess the main question is, what are you looking to do with your computer? Is it mainly gaming? Video production, music production, CAD, rendering, virtualization, simulation, databases, spreadsheets? A mixture of all? In some situations you may have a hands down answer on what the best hardware for that task would be, but it isn't always the case. What are you looking to do, and how much are you looking to spend? Have you bought any parts or were you looking at a prebuilt system?

Reactions: Why_Me