Quick question on diff in mem speeds/latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
17
0
18,510
I've been doing a lot of research lately on upgrading my computer and have been successfully able to google every answer I've had (most have come from this site) except this:

I currently have 16gb 1333mhz ddr3 with cas 9, and was looking to upgrade to 8gb of 1600mhz ddr3 with cas 7. I was planning on OCing my q9550 with the upgrade as well however im slightly new to the OCing concept, but that's a different matter.

The main question is would I notice a significant increase in performance with games? I mostly play MMORPGs, and some FPS games.

for reference:
this is the memory i have: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-PC3-10666-1333MHz-Desktop-MD8192KD3-1333/dp/B004DHNAGM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328045358&sr=8-3
this is the memory im thinking about getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

my system:

Q9550
asus P5P43TD mobo
16gb pny 1333mhz DDR3 ram cas 9
radeon hd 5850(soon to be 6950)
caviar black 1.5tb hdd
850w corsair psu

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
 
Solution
No, it wouldn't be worth the cash. Not at all. I'd go for the GPU upgrade now, and do a platform (CPU + mobo)upgrade the next time around. Getting a 2500K wouldn't get you any significant boost in gaming performance either, as you'd still be bottlenecked by your old GPU.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
870
0
19,160




I think you would see more of a bump from the video upgrade than from OCing the system RAM
 

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
17
0
18,510


Yeah that's what I have gathered so far from everything I've read. I was originally going to upgrade to an i5 2500k and an asus p8z68 mobo(I think that's the name of it), but decided that wouldn't be the best bang for my buck. I'm definitely going to upgrade the video card, just wondering if investing in the faster latency ram/OC would be worth the extra $90 as well. I'm running windows 7 64-bit home prem too btw...forgot to mention that in my first post.
 
No, it wouldn't be worth the cash. Not at all. I'd go for the GPU upgrade now, and do a platform (CPU + mobo)upgrade the next time around. Getting a 2500K wouldn't get you any significant boost in gaming performance either, as you'd still be bottlenecked by your old GPU.
 
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS