Quick question regarding a molex connector

hurleydare

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
hello! I opened my computer to find one hell of a lot of wires, none which were "free," to plug in my pci-slot video card fan cooler (my video cards fan stopped working :|) i plugged it in with a Green and White cabled molex that goes into the front of my computer.

I can't get the front off, but i just experimented and unplugged it and its.. not my power button, not my USB ports, or my expansion USB ports. Could it be my card reader?

Just curious as the fan is now working at 100%, when it was plugged in alongside this white and green thing it wasn't at 100%. By plugged in alongside I mean, the fan has a male and female molex as.. one piece?

Thanks! I just want to know what this green and white molex connector is!!

When you run out of molex they make Y cables (splitters). You unplug a molex from some device and plug it in the bottom of the Y. Then take one arm of the Y and plug into original device and use the other arm of the Y for you new thing. $6. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198025

The molex to the front of the case would typically be for a CDROM, but some cases (HP for example) have funny storage bays for proprietary devices that used to get power with molex. on some gaming cases there are lights everywhere, ...

The fan may have one molex in and one molex out so that you don't need a splitter.

Final note, the fans on video cards are replaceable and on some card increase speed at load. IF you have a video card that needs an external power connector then I would look closely at getting the fan replaced. IF the video card doesn't draw much power then you should be OK, but check the temp of your video card with sometime like GPU-z or Realtemp (google these). A temp in the 70C plus range is probably a problem.

hurleydare

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I have googled intensively on my 9600GT, and at the moment under load it goes as high as 90C. Thanks for the speedy reply! the highest the card can go is 105C, but prior to me buying this fan it was at 130C, and then the screens would turn off.. obviously i noticed the problem after that happened!

I have bought a three-way molex, to accomodate some new fans i have ordered :)

TRENDING THREADS