[SOLVED] Quick Question Regarding HDD Health

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2808222

I bought a new HDD. Seagate Barracuda 2TB. There's nothing on it. Other than a fan ish noise which I believe is normal there seems to be a high pitched noise together with it. This pitched noise only plays one tone/resonance and does not change. Coil whine seems to change dramaticly in tone/pitch (Watching LTT's coil whine video) so my guess is that coil whine isn't the problem for the noise.

Question:
In bios hdd/ssd smart information are these values and numbers good for this brand new hdd ? View: https://imgur.com/a/k3gzkdx

Lastly if someone knows if an high pitched noise is normal for an hdd that is quite new then that would be great to know about.

Tried researching my self a bit but I'm sligthly unsure and confused about this. With many other things having to fix with my computer I'm hoping to get help with this hdd issue/question.

Solution
Sounds like you have a bearing making noise if it's louder then usual for that drive.
The Seagate Barracuda is usually a 7200 RPM drive but shouldn't be any noisier then any other 7200rpm drive.
D

Deleted member 2808222

Are you sure it's the drive?
unplug the power to it and see if it stops or if you hear it spin down.
I believe I have done that before, seems to come from the hdd drive. Sata cables does not have to be connected for it to make this sound, only the power cable coming from the psu

D

Deleted member 2808222

I believe I have done that before, seems to come from the hdd drive. Sata cables does not have to be connected for it to make this sound, only the power cable coming from the psu
I checked again and it comes from the hdd drive. When I turn off the computer the high-freq sound gets pitched down/slows down and then goes away.

D

Deleted member 2808222

Sounds like you have a bearing making noise if it's louder then usual for that drive.
The Seagate Barracuda is usually a 7200 RPM drive but shouldn't be any noisier then any other 7200rpm drive.
This is my first time installing an hdd for my self so I’ve never exactly heard how an hdd, specially this one really should sound like. Since this is a brand new one I don’t see why there should be a very high pitched noise coming from it, I was thinking the high pitched noise could indicate something bad from what I know. Even tho the computer case will get some quite alright isolation/sound proofing specially for the high freqs, it might be possible that the high frequency sound coming from the hdd gets slihtly hearable through the ventilation opening. What I mainly want tho is to store files on this thing for maybe few years without having it fail to soon incase there’s something wrong with it.