Question Quick Question (sorry if it's dumb :( )

Apr 25, 2019
Hello everyone I am new here a friend told me about the website and how helpful everyone is so I decided to make an account so I could ask a fast question real fast because im a little computer dumb xD !

But anyways I was just wondering I have an INTEL DH67BL motherboard and currently an AMD r9 280x , I was going to upgrade graphics card don't have much money and I saw the msi radeon rx 580, and it says it's PCI EXPRESS X16.

I looked up my INTEL DH67BL and it says 1 PCIe 3.0 x16 , so does that mean im able to use the 580 for my computer or?? Thanks in advance <3

Apr 25, 2019
CPU: i5 2500k
motherboard: intel DH67BL
RAM: 16
SSD: no
HDD: 700+gigs
GPU: r9 280x
PSU: 500
chassis: no idea but its really HUGE and i have like 6 slots open its weird xD (bought this pc online like 2 years ago maybe idk)
OS: windows 7 ultimate (im a gamer xD i heard 8 and 10 is bad)

edit: sorry about that I thought it was simple as that xD

DSzymborski

Titan
Need the exact PSU. At any wattage, there are good power supplies and absolutely terrible power supplies. While either PSU would actually use less power than the 280x you're currently using, it's quite possible you're already using a risky power supply.

Apr 25, 2019
Need the exact PSU. At any wattage, there are good power supplies and absolutely terrible power supplies. While either PSU would actually use less power than the 280x you're currently using, it's quite possible you're already using a risky power supply.

Sorry to take forever when I had to turn comp off and take case off and take pictures, then my OCD took over because i saw all the dust xD so i had to clean it real fast!!! but here's the thing.

View: https://imgur.com/a/KVEqG5R

DSzymborski

Titan
Hooray! Sometimes when I ask this question, you should see some of the horrors that pop up.

In this case, while it's an old PSU and a fairly old design, it's a reputable budget PSU made by Delta. While it's not actually a 500W in modern terms, combined it's a real 444W. I still wouldn't want to do any overclocking as the wattage is still kinda tight, but your power supply will feel some relief if it's currently powering a 280x. I had one of those (in the form of the 7970 GHz edition) and god that was a power hungry GPU. (Trust me, you don't want to know how close you are to your +12V power limit right now).

OCD is perfectly acceptable with PCs! A dusty book reads fine, a dusty PC can cause a lot of bad things to happen.

Apr 25, 2019
Yea I'm not trying to overclock or anything crazy im just a casual gamer, I just play apex legends but before that i use to play world of warcraft and pubg and overwatch, I always would play on low settings because I chose to do so because most pros play on all low settings for max fps but yea um so would the rx 580 be okay for my system or would that be overkill. If it's overkill i suppose I could do the 570. And btw thanks for replying so fast you're amazing :) <3

DSzymborski

Titan
Yea I'm not trying to overclock or anything crazy im just a casual gamer, I just play apex legends but before that i use to play world of warcraft and pubg and overwatch, I always would play on low settings because I chose to do so because most pros play on all low settings for max fps but yea um so would the rx 580 be okay for my system or would that be overkill. If it's overkill i suppose I could do the 570. And btw thanks for replying so fast you're amazing :) <3

There's not a huge difference between the 570 and the 580 (the 560->570 is the larger jump in quality). What CPU are you currently using? If you're not playing anything too intense, the Sandy Bridge CPUs are still competitive CPUs, but if you have something on the lower-end (Pentium or i3), you might not get all the benefits from a 580 instead of a 570.

Apr 25, 2019
There's not a huge difference between the 570 and the 580 (the 560->570 is the larger jump in quality). What CPU are you currently using? If you're not playing anything too intense, the Sandy Bridge CPUs are still competitive CPUs, but if you have something on the lower-end (Pentium or i3), you might not get all the benefits from a 580 instead of a 570.

Posted all my specs above xD but here they are again <3

chassis: no idea but its really HUGE and i have like 6 slots open its weird xD (bought this pc online like 2 years ago maybe idk)

DSzymborski

Titan
Posted all my specs above xD but here they are again <3

Dammit, illiteracy strikes again (I'm a journalist so this is particularly humilating).

Yeah, no problems with a 580 there. Unlike a lot of builds we see, this was competently configured in the first place, which means upgrades are a breeze, even nearly a decade later. Depending on the game, you'll get 30-60% more fps out of the 580 than a 280x.

I like the threads where I don't have to break bad news.

Apr 25, 2019
Dammit, illiteracy strikes again (I'm a journalist so this is particularly humilating).

Yeah, no problems with a 580 there. Unlike a lot of builds we see, this was competently configured in the first place, which means upgrades are a breeze, even nearly a decade later. Depending on the game, you'll get 30-60% more fps out of the 580 than a 280x.

I like the threads where I don't have to break bad news.

Sweet yea I was thinking about grabbing the 580 first then when I get more money like next month I was going to get this thingy - Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz (4.10 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I59400F Desktop Processor Without Graphics.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...escription=i5&cm_re=i5-_-19-117-981-_-Product

It's SUPER in my price range. Trying to stay under $200 for gpu and cpu . So like ill spend 200 ish on gpu this month then next month ill spend 200 ish on a cpu. What do you think about that one :) would that also fit my PC ??? since you said it was a breeze :) ?

DSzymborski

Titan
Sweet yea I was thinking about grabbing the 580 first then when I get more money like next month I was going to get this thingy - Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz (4.10 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I59400F Desktop Processor Without Graphics.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...escription=i5&cm_re=i5-_-19-117-981-_-Product

It's SUPER in my price range. Trying to stay under $200 for gpu and cpu . So like ill spend 200 ish on gpu this month then next month ill spend 200 ish on a cpu. What do you think about that one :) would that also fit my PC ??? since you said it was a breeze :) ?

That's a more complicated upgrade! The motherboard you have can run Sandy Bridge and with a BIOS update, typically Ivy Bridge. But later generations would require a new motherboard (Haswell, Skylake/Kaby Lake, and Coffee Lake are all different generations of CPU that require different motherboards than the generation before). There was also a switch to DDR4 RAM in 2014, so a RAM upgrade would also be needed.

In other words, a much larger task for when you have a larger need and a larger budget. You don't need a Coffee Lake to help Sylvanas kill the Alliance or declare that it's High Noon.

Apr 25, 2019
That's a more complicated upgrade! The motherboard you have can run Sandy Bridge and with a BIOS update, typically Ivy Bridge. But later generations would require a new motherboard (Haswell, Skylake/Kaby Lake, and Coffee Lake are all different generations of CPU that require different motherboards than the generation before). There was also a switch to DDR4 RAM in 2014, so a RAM upgrade would also be needed.

In other words, a much larger task for when you have a larger need and a larger budget. You don't need a Coffee Lake to help Sylvanas kill the Alliance or declare that it's High Noon.

RIP that stinks. :( oh well I guess I can just do GPU upgrade and eventually just save up for a whole new pc idk. xD

edit: nice WoW reference xD