[SOLVED] Quick question to get my graphics card powered up

ragesteel

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
EDIT made from 4 pin to 6 pin

Hi all I have a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (015-P3-1589-AR) 1.5 GB GDDR5 SDRAM PCI Express x16

My mother board is about 5 years old (not sure what it is). I just bought the GTX580 and when I connect the 6 pin power with the PCI express power cable to my graphics card my monitor does not display anything.

I've bought an 8 pin power connector that connects from my power supply from the motherboard to the graphics card and that doesnt work (computer doesnt even turn on). I also tried combining this 8 pin power connector as mentioned along with the 6 pin PCI express and still computer does not power up.

Do I need to get an adaptor from my 6pin PCI express power supply that splits to both the 8 and 6 pin (the graphics card manual is vague about this).

edit around 13:15 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODufhBjhEA
the guy does both 6 and 8 pin - I have a 6 pin PCI but no 8 pin PCI - can I split the 6 pin with an addaptor since I dont have another PCI

thanks guys - cant wait to play vermintide 2 :)

Solution
You are going to need a new PSU.

That PSU is very low quality and is likely to fail in a spectacular fashion(sparks and smoke) trying to power a GTX 580 using adapters. The GTX 580 can use 280-300w by its self and your psu maxes out at 288w(honesty getting even close to that it would likely fail). So 280-300w plus the rest of the system that uses the 12v rail(cpu, and the pump for your water loop will be the next biggest users next to the GPU) your PSU is inadequate is quality and size.

Depending on the full system specs you will need atleast a decent quality 550-650w PSU.

bignastyid

Titan
No such thing as a 4 pin pci-e power connector they come in 6-pin, 8-pin and 6+2 pin(works for either 6 or 8 pins connectors). 4 pin to 8-pin makes me think you are using a molex to pci-e adapter which is a bad idea. The GTX 580 Hydro copper 2 requires 1 8-pin and 1 6-pin connection.

Whats the make and model of your PSU?

ragesteel

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Hi Big - sorry its a 6 pin my bad - I edited my original post -

bignastyid

Titan
You are going to need a new PSU.

That PSU is very low quality and is likely to fail in a spectacular fashion(sparks and smoke) trying to power a GTX 580 using adapters. The GTX 580 can use 280-300w by its self and your psu maxes out at 288w(honesty getting even close to that it would likely fail). So 280-300w plus the rest of the system that uses the 12v rail(cpu, and the pump for your water loop will be the next biggest users next to the GPU) your PSU is inadequate is quality and size.

Depending on the full system specs you will need atleast a decent quality 550-650w PSU.

Solution

ragesteel

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

info below : I dont have a liquid cooling system. Amazon US

windows 10 home 64bit
amd athlon 2 x4 620 processsor 4cpus 2.6ghz
4096mb ram
bios 9/10/09 21:46:36

Thanks!

ragesteel

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

oh man! lol thanks for letting me know

can it work w/o one though and not damage anything? the link you sent I didn't explicity see it under requirements but what do you think?