Apr 18, 2019
Hi there, I am thinking of upgrading my RAM. I am running a single channel (1x8gb) stick at the moment and i want to upgrade to a (2x8gb) config.
The only problem is that one of my RAM slots on my motherboard doesn't seem to be working (RAM slot number 2). In the motherboard Manual, it says, when installing dual channel kits, install them in slots 2 and 4. I was just wondering if I installed them in slots 1 and 3, would there be anything wrong with that? Would it still run in dual channel and would it still function as well? Thanks very much.

Solution
I would sooner be concerned why your slot isn't working. Do you know why exactly it isn't working?
It could well be the CPU cooler is too tight, or the slot itself could be damaged - in which case I would get a new motherboard, as it can only get worse. Something not working is the sign that something isn't right.

Theoretically speaking putting it straight into 1 and 3 should still allow dual channel config and should work, but sometimes it doesn't, as the RAM modules should be populated as per the MB manual, there is no real way of telling. It should be fine, but it might not be.

That and mixing RAM modules as I am sure you are aware is a 50/50 gamble anyway.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would sooner be concerned why your slot isn't working. Do you know why exactly it isn't working?
It could well be the CPU cooler is too tight, or the slot itself could be damaged - in which case I would get a new motherboard, as it can only get worse. Something not working is the sign that something isn't right.

Theoretically speaking putting it straight into 1 and 3 should still allow dual channel config and should work, but sometimes it doesn't, as the RAM modules should be populated as per the MB manual, there is no real way of telling. It should be fine, but it might not be.

That and mixing RAM modules as I am sure you are aware is a 50/50 gamble anyway.

Reactions: TheBlueReindeer
Solution
Apr 18, 2019

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I agree, I'm not sure why it isnt working but i will try and test it out when i get a chance to because i know it was working only a couple of months ago. Also, i wasnt planning to mix any RAM modules, i was planning to buy a new set.
Thanks for your reply

Reactions: PC Tailor