Quick Review Please

zomwaffles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
I'm planning to build my very first PC. I wanted to get some opinions as to how I did and if the components I put together will provide a great performance! I didn't have much of a budget in mind. On another side note, I was curious to know when I start building how would I set the fans up? I've done some research on intake and exhaust... but I'm still rather confused by it. Also, a minor question... if anyone has the Evolv Atx tempered glass case, what color are the stocked fans?

Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wxmcPs

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
just watch a youtube video with your case and/or cpu cooler in question on installation processes.

as for your review on your build, what do you hope to gain out of your computer? Do you plan on streaming? Just gaming? Productivity? Competiive gaming or casual? I can see places to cut costs and I can also see potential places to upgrade for a sweet spot. But i want to know your usage on the computer.

intake is traditionally taking in air from the front and bottom of the case; exhaust is usually blowing air out to the back and top of the case (since hot air rises). that way, the heat produced from the internal components doesn't build up like a closed system.

zomwaffles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

I've been watching many video's regarding the case and the cpu cooler's. I've noticed most of the coolers go on the top of the case but I see the fans (or rad?) facing either up towards the top of the case or facing down.

I hope to stream later on in the future. I'd like to do competitive gaming and run settings at the highest settings possible. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen. I'd also be using it for school work. I doubt I would be using it for video editing or anything along the lines of that. I added a bunch of components with RGB because I wanted to use my Asus Motherboard to the full extent with the Asus Auora feature hence the RAM RGB and all the other lights haha. Also won't be using an Ethernet cable so the motherboard itself has a wifi adapter that I've read some good reviews about.

To summarize everything, I want a solid hardcore gaming computer while looking like a mini rave.

Ahh ok, makes more sense now. Thank you!

zomwaffles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Oh also would like to overclock! I'm not entirely sure how or what to do... but I'm gonna be trying to learn about it as well. Not sure if you needed that information too.

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
your build's fine. i think you're over the top on aesthetics but i'm budget oriented on stuff i see practical - a subjective opinion. if you want to stream in the future, i'd recommend an i7. Since streaming while gaming is multi-tasking, you might as well go high-end on the CPU (very important). After all, you're also going to have to read chat, you may as well get a second monitor in the future. Plus, you mentioned video editing which involves rendering, encoding and playback (think merging separate video clips, merging timelines, introductions/endings, animations, transitions, etc). i7 has 4 cores + 4 threads. An i5 has 4 cores only. there's also more value getting an air cooler in the longer term but you're young. you'll find out the pros/cons of a liquid cooler i guess. lol

good luck.

zomwaffles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

Would you mind providing some insight on the difference between the options for cpu coolers? I had the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler in mind actually. I only chose the aio kraken x62 because i saw many of the video's on youtube with liquid coolers so I assumed that it would be best using it. Top of that the RGB was on there.. so i was easily influenced lol. I appreciate your opinion and help! Thank you.

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
you think liquid coolers last long or something? the internal bearings wear out eventually after a couple years and then have to be replaced. However, with a heatsink+fan cpu cooler, all you need to replace is the fan, which is more inexpensive in the long term.

Bequiet's Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig's R1, Noctua's NH-D15, Thermalright's line up... they're all respected. As for RGB, there's the masterAir maker 8 by CoolerMaster! LMAO

not sure why you're paying premium for RGB. once everything is installed, your main focus is 95% on the monitor, 4% on the other peripherals - keyboard/speakers/mousepad and 0.3% on the computer. (turning it on/off). It's a gimmick. Just get RGB on your desk setup. 99% of people don't have RGB cpu coolers, whether it's liquid or air (heatsink) cooling. Get RGB mouse and keyboard. It doesn't make sense to get RGB on your CPU cooler b/c it's main purpose should be dissipating heat, not putting on a light show.

zomwaffles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

Well I'm not sure how long either one lasts for but both of them come with warranty if I'm not mistaken. Hmm so fans are more cost efficient? What about performance wise?

Only reason why I'm paying extra is because I saw the feature of the synchronization through the Asus aurora feature and wanted to make the most of it. Feel like a motherboard with a key function like that available not being used is a waste. But trust me, I see your point lol. I'm in stuck in a hard rock myself. Guess I'm having a bit to much fun with this haha.