[SOLVED] Quick sanity check - additional 12V CPU power connections & cables

Jan 28, 2020
Hi all,

I'm working with a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard and an EVGA SuperNova G3 750W PSU. The mobo has slots for both an 8-pin (2x4) and 4-pin (2x2) CPU power connection, while the PSU comes with only two 8-pin (2x4) cables. I'm using an Intel i7 9700K with the potential to overclock, so I'd like to power both connectors if possible. Please can I check with any experienced users here that I'm connecting these correctly?
Obviously the 8-pin connector is no issue. But with the 4-pin (2x2), should I use one half of an 8-pin (2x4)? One half is keyed correctly to use, but I want to be certain that this is the correct approach before doing so!

Edit: Unfortunately the mobo/psu manuals are not clear about it.
If I were to use just one half of the 2x4 pin connector, I assume it would be wise to wrap the spare half in electrical tape to prevent it touching something?

Last edited:
Solution
The correct half of the 4+4 pin connector to use in the 4-pin socket will be the one that fits.
Taping up the unused half is unnecessary unless you have something around it that can work its way into the recessed connector and ground out the pin. It syould be as safe as all the other unused connectors laying around. Most have the same live +12V pin in them as well.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The correct half of the 4+4 pin connector to use in the 4-pin socket will be the one that fits.
Taping up the unused half is unnecessary unless you have something around it that can work its way into the recessed connector and ground out the pin. It syould be as safe as all the other unused connectors laying around. Most have the same live +12V pin in them as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS