Quick upgrade recomendations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
hey hey :hello: ..just wondering what the deal with directx 10.1 is, i checked in dxdiag->system->system information and it says next to directx version its only version 10? i have updated windows, i thought 10.1 was included in sp1? or something like that, you just "had" it automatically

running vista ultimate 64bit btw

also what is the best/most accurate tool/program to check cpu temps? are they all the same?

thanks

:bounce:

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
edit: also i bought a couple of those fans you mensioned above (thermaltake A2018) which is what it says on the box but on the fan itself is says TT-1225T
sounds like i got jibbed ay? or is it meant to say that for some stupid reason?
thought id make sure before i go back for nothing and make myself look like a d*ck..
cheers

Pretty sure those are the right fans. Thermaltake is good at advertising one model number and then calling it something else. I believe the A2018 is just the blue version of the fan TT-1225T... if they are blue, move enough air, and aren't too loud, I would say don't sweat it.

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
oic so 10.1 is a future version..
i was using coretemp because i liked the vista gadget for it, but it kept freezing vista for some reason..
but i rather realtemp because it saves the max temp during a game or whatever...
thanks yea!

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
yea you could be right, i can't find anything on 1225T anyway, but it looks like a complete different model number,
ill see how i go anyway..

thanks again..off to play crysis :)
great game

katch

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
my internal storage hdd just failed :(
lucky everything was backed-up on to the external drive :) cept for the recent downloads..but im going to try and recover those now..

anyway, should i just get the WD 640GB Black (might just get the 500gb tho.) that you mentioned in your list? if i can find it locally (don't want to order hdd's over the net, couriers can be brutal)
If i can't find that exact model should i go for WD over Seagate?

will most likely get from centrecom: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php?page=1&cPath=107_22 seems like they have them, msy doesn't say enough on their price list but i might call and find out.

i would love to swap everything over to those ssd hdds (its about time these came out), but i will wait til they drop in price and add them to the next new build, which i will be spending a bit more money on :D

one last thing i wanted to ask, do you know of any product that will allow me to add all fan speed dials/switches to a single point? i have 4-5 fans with speed selectors and i want them all in one place, can i chop the stock dials off and replace them all to new and identical ones? (2 antec fans that came with my case are different to the thermaltake ones, which i don't like)

thanks for all your help once again..you are a good person..cheers!

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
hey would you happen to have any recommendations for video card cooling would you?

want to do one last shop until i leave it alone with this thing..spending too much money that i cant spend..spewing on the hdd as well..
i have a spending problem that i need to resolve..lol
ta

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
i ended up getting the 1TB wd black.. i wanted the 640 but they had none in stock and i download a lot so i thought why not get the 1TB, feel a bit sick now though.. the comments on newegg are shocking..there is a lot of reports of DOA or dead within a couple weeks..
is it terabyte drives in general or just some bad luck, or these drives in particular?
I haven't tried it yet but if it's prone to errors and is not going to last i am having second thoughts..or am i just to paranoid? and thinking about it too much? i tend to do that sometimes..well i just had my first failed hdd and i don't want it happening again anytime soon..i know these things happen with hdd's but you would think they would get it right by now. guess that's another pro for the ssd's tru..

what is your opinion and/or experience (if any) with the wd 1TB caviar black?

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
oh and i just noticed the jumper..pins 3+4 enable "PUIS" power up in standby, whats the deal with that? know what it is?
thanks

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
hey, i just installed the hdd, having a little problem, it is being recognized everywhere exept in "Computer" or when you have to select a drive to do something.
In device manager and the "hardware" tab in another disks properties it says its fine. I ran the WD diagnostics tool and its fine..when the comp boots up it shows up there aswell..

Just can't access it..

any ideas?

thanks..

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
hi just wanted to ask a couple questions if its not too much trouble..
1. If i where to get another graphics card for crossfirex would it better to get the exact same card? manufacturer and all (currently: Gigabyte HD4850 1GB OC)

2. Is there any links you know of for overclocking? I pretty much understand it all just want a last read a tutorial based on a similar (even same cpu) system as mine. Including the best benchmarking progs to get.

thanks for all your help once again..much appreciated..

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
forget the last questions, any recommendations on ram coolers?

and the vga cooler you mentioned, the Arctic accerlero twin turbo, I just ordered one..i was wondering if it where possible to use this in a crossfire setup?
once i install it ill try and make my own decision, but just wanted to know.

cheers