VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I am in the process of buying a quiet HDD and a quiet PSU, and a quiet case fan, so I thought that I might as well replace my CD-ROM that sounds like a "pull-n-go" toy with something a little, well . . . quieter.

I currently have a Samsung 3235 somethin' or other. Aside from being loud, it also eats discs. I have had three (fortunately CD-Rs) scratched all to hell when I pressed the eject button before the CD had finished spinning down.
So, add this requirement to the criteria: low disc-eating eject mode.

One other thing . . . I am looking in the "not too terribly expensive" range, say < $75.

Thanks!

VSP

<i>Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b>nwod</b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT</i>

<i>Just changed the subject.<i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by VulcanSoulPatch on 02/16/02 07:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've heard that the Kenwood 72x TrueX drives are quiet, though they've been discontinued (as far as I know). Avoid Creative's CDROMs. I have a Toshiba 48x and it's not too bad - not like a jet engine taking off.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Thanks, <b>Arrow</b>. I will look into Toshiba . . . I like their stuff . . . at least home elec. My VCR and DVD player are both Toshiba.

I changed the subject on the first message because I decided that if I am going to spend money on a new ROM drive, might as well make it a DVD, if it is not that much more expensive.

So, anybody now about a good quiet DVD-ROM? Also under $100, if possible. I am going to buy a new HDD, IDE controller card, PSU, and case fan along with the ROM drive, so I would like not to break the bank.

You are probably asking yourself the same question my bud asked me . . . "why not just buy a whole new computer?"

Well, I just bought a new vid card last May, got a used CPU and new fan last August, a used burner last October, and fixed my SB Live! crackling problem but a few weeks ago.
So . . .

It's a labor of love. :wink:

Thanks in advance for the input.

VSP

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Thanks, <b>upec</b>! What speed does it read CDs at? Also, what is the model #?

VSP

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I have a Panasonic 16x, it's fairly quiet.
I am assuming that is the DVD speed . . . what about the CD speed, and the model #?

Thanks, <b>Crashman</b>

VSP

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Samsung does not.
Hear, hear! I second that . . . like I mentioned, my POS Samsung has eaten three of my discs . . . and when I was looking for a good DVD player, Samsung was getting booed off of the stage left and right.

VSP

<b>nwod</b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by VulcanSoulPatch on 02/20/02 04:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have had so many Samsung drives either break or fail to read certain media (probably do to head misallignment) that I have given up on the brand. In fact, I was VERY UPSET when I ordered some old Panasonic 16x drives for my rebuilds and recieved Samsung 48x drives instead.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hey, <b>Arrow</b>, I found a (as in 1) Kenwood TrueX drive on PriceWatch . . . it is 52X, SCSI, and $140. Ouch!

Since I don't really want to go into the SCSI realm, it is not that much of an option for me. I am sure with its "7 Beam pickup", some SCSI users out there are pretty happy.

Thanks for the info.

VSP

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
It's a "Matsushita SR-8586", 16x/40x DVD drive, Matsushita being the company that makes the Panasonic brand.
Funny, PriceWatch tells me that it is a Panasonic 12X. A store has it for <$100, but I am wondering about the 12X part.

Guess I could call 'em on it, but they will be closed by now.

Oh, well . . . I'll keep looking.

VSP

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The same model number was available in 12x and 16x versions, under different part numbers. Check Panasonic's website. NO, I won't be pulling the drive out to check the part number.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?