quiet hd

Geo

I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.

--
Look at the world today. Is there anything more pitiful? What madness there
is. What blindness. What unintelligent leadership. A scurrying mass of

"geo" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.

I have 2 of them personally and have used many in other PC's, the new ones
are virtually silent.

Hamman

"geo" <no@no.com> wrote in message

> I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels.
< snip >

Many of them are. Look on the manufacturers' web sites.

-- Bob Day

geo wrote:

> I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.

I really don't Maxtor. Too many bad experiences with them.

To see noise levels compared, select idle noise on this page:
http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

-WD

Maxtor drives ARE pretty cheap. And you get what you pay for.

--
DaveW

"geo" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.
>
> --
> Look at the world today. Is there anything more pitiful? What madness
there
> is. What blindness. What unintelligent leadership. A scurrying mass of
> bewildered humanity, crashing headlong against each other, compelled by an
> orgy of greed and brutality. The time must come my friend, when this orgy
> will spend itself. When brutality and the lust for power, must perish by
its
> own sword. -Lost Horizon, 1936

the samsung P80 drives are the quietest current drives.

"geo" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.
>
> --
> Look at the world today. Is there anything more pitiful? What madness
there
> is. What blindness. What unintelligent leadership. A scurrying mass of
> bewildered humanity, crashing headlong against each other, compelled by an
> orgy of greed and brutality. The time must come my friend, when this orgy
> will spend itself. When brutality and the lust for power, must perish by
its
> own sword. -Lost Horizon, 1936

"geo" <no@no.com> wrote in message news:<4MIxc.569$Xw3.524@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...

> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.

I've checked only at Maxtor, IBM/Hitachi, WD, and Seagate, and the
quietest for seeks are Maxtor, Seagate, and IBM/Hitachi, while the
quietest for spin noise are Seagates, the loudest WDs. All of the WDs
I tried had ball bearings, all the Seagates fluid bearings, while the
Maxtors were both types (same spin noise level). The IBM Deskstars
had ball bearings, but I'm not sure of the 200G IBM/Hitachi.

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <w2Kxc.70619$DG4.31353@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid says...
> geo wrote:
>
> > I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> > which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> > Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.
> >

> I really don't Maxtor. Too many bad experiences with them.
>
> To see noise levels compared, select idle noise on this page:
> http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php
>

> -WD

I have had Maxtors fail on me as well and I've also had them develop a
whine within several months to a year.

I have used Seagate Barracuda PATA drives and been extremely happy.

I'm now using a Seagate SATA
Model ID ST3120026AS - Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120026, in a very
quiet system (built to be very quiet). All I ever hear is the head seek
- that I do hear - and I like it. It keeps me aware of what's going on.

Seagate tech support has always been helpful on the few occasions I've
needed them.

The other "quiet drive" right now, seems to be Samsungs - but I don't
know about their longevity or stability - they may be great but I
haven't had any experience with them.

Louise

geo wrote:

> I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.

In general, you can expect that cheaper = noisier. I've been using Seagate
Cheetah and WD Raptor for the past 5 years. Very quiet; not cheap.

Robert

In message <4MIxc.569$Xw3.524@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, geo <no@no.com>
writes
>I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
>which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
>Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.

Suggest that you check the SPCR storage forum at
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/ for the latest views. For some time
now the quietest HDDs have come from Seagate or Samsung.
--
Robert

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <sJIyc.89328$Ly.81826@attbi_s01>, jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net says...
> geo wrote:
> >
> > I wish hard drives were rated for noise levels. Is there a consensus on
> > which drives are quieter? Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drives are pretty cheap.
> > Any feedback on their noise level? Thanks.
>
> In general, you can expect that cheaper = noisier. I've been using Seagate
> Cheetah and WD Raptor for the past 5 years. Very quiet; not cheap.

Ive used several Seagates - beautifully, wonderully quiet.

Just got a new machine built for me by www.endpicnoice.com with a SATA Seagate hard drive. The only thing I hear are theseeking heads.

Louise