Quiet, Pretty and Powerful — Help me select the right components for high-end gaming PC

doesnotcompute

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hello and thanks for reading.

I've built my last four gaming PCs and read through enough gaming PC component articles to have a fairly clear sense of what I'm looking for, but there are some subtle differences that don't come through in reviews. So, I'm hoping you might be able to help with that.

I'm already settled on some components or carrying them over from my current machine. Here's where I could use some insight:

1. Really pretty monitor.
I'm not much of a twitch/FPS gamer, so my biggest concern is a phenomenal picture quality. Ideally, I'll couple this with a solid refresh, response and G-Sync. Thoughts?

2. Quiet, easy-to-organize-and-customize case.
One thing I hate about building PCs is sorting out and cleaning up all the wiring. So I'm looking for a case that makes installing/uninstalling components a breeze. Needs to be quiet too. Bear in mind that I don't care at all about lighting/tempered glass, weight and size, etc. Plain and simple is great.

3. Quietest, reliable Nvidia GTX 1080.
I know there's little difference from one 1080 to the next, except when it comes to cooling. Any suggestions for a quiet, yet still reasonably cool card?

4. Nicely featured, reliable motherboard for Intel Core i7-8700K (or similar).
I've used ASUS in nearly all my builds and never regretted it. But I'm not that familiar with what's on offer today. Any particular boards/specific models you like? I'd especially appreciate something that'll apply a safe, modest overclock at the push of a button.

5. Quiet CPU cooler for Intel i7-8700K?
As I said, not looking for a serious OC, so no need to go with water cooling. Any insights into a quiet aftermarket cooler?

I very much appreciate your time.

Thanks,

ELB

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Consider the be quiet! SilentBase cases.
The trim can be had in black, silver, orange, red or green.

be-quiet-silent-base-600-window-orange.jpg

I have the larger SilentBase 800 with the steel side panel.
The windowed panel is double layered plastic for sound.
It's an excellent high quality case! Built like a Mercedes tank.
The case is lined with rubber sound insulation.
The fan shrouds on front top and bottom are designed to keep fan noise inside.
It comes with 3 SilentWings fans and they really work well.

That said I would have preferred to get the SB600.
Of course it came out a month after I bought the SB800.
It's the same case but a little smaller.

51wh1n0AOIL._SX425_.jpg

I am using a ThermalRight Macho Rev B cooler.
It can function as a passive cooler with no fan. I have my fan barely spinning and it keeps my O/C temps in check.

c300x182.jpg

My Monitor is the HP Omen 32 inch 1440p.
75 hz with FreeSync. It's excellent for doing graphic design and Photoshop. My primary use.

the asus rog motherboards there a little more money but there a good mb for the money with large vrm for stable gamings. also asus has usb flashback on some of there mb. keeps people from having bricked bios mb. asus and other brands of video cards make gaming cards with 2-3 slot thick coolers. these cards can run with no fans. i have one in the 1050ti. intel the cards fan hits a set temp the fans wont turn on. for cpu coolers go with sealed water unit. there going to have only small pump noise. the biggest issue you want for noise is use large case fans and keep them slow moving. if you go with stock 120mm fans pick up fan controller if your using more fans then the mb has fan plugs.

TRENDING THREADS