Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Ok I'm in the process of(yet) another upgrade. My Corsair ram is failing(XMS2400 256MB, only shows 128most of the time). I've got a A7N8X(non deluxe board). I just ordered some OCZ Extreme Performance 512MB EL DDR PC-3500 Enhanced Latency Series - 4.5 ns chips - CL2/CAS 2.0 - 1T - 434MHz+ - Copper Heat Spreaders sticks(2 of them). Now since I'm ripping apart the system, I'm looking for a new PSU. It's a dual fan 500 watt Comp-USA branded model. Runs fine but it's loud. I'm looking for a recommended quiet supply. I'm keeping my current AXP1700+(Oc'd to 1606Mhz). I also have a velo24/10/40 CD-RW, Kenwood TrueX 52(probably getting a black Lite-on DVD as well). Geforce 3 Ti200, Audigy, linksys NIC, ATI TV wonder tuner, HSF is also a Swiftech MCX462 as well(a replacement high CFM quiet fan replacement would be welcomed as well).

So with what I'm running, I'd like some recommendations on power supplies that run as quiet as possible. Also sites that sell the item you recommend as well would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
The Enermax line is nice and quiet, though I like the Vantec triple-fan PSUs. As for an HSF, the best bet is a Thermaltake Volcano 9, since at the highest setting it gives out 75cfm, and it can be either manually or temperature controlled. Check out www.thermaltake.com for the specifics, but I've used it on a system I built (w/Athlon XP2000 @ ~1.6) and haven't heard any complaints, and for the price its worth it.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
thanks for the feedback on the psu's. I'll look into it and see what I find. As for my HSF, I don't wish to change the actual unit, just the fan.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well that fan that comes with the Volcano 9 is also available separate for (I think) ~$14 ... Its orange and looks good through a window, and they also have a "coolmod" version which attatches to your HDD LED pins on your motherboard, lighting up the HSF when your HDD is working. Check-out www.3dcool.com/?module=product&cat=45 and www.thermaltake.com/products/fanMenu.htm for more..

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
well I'll have to check for that fan. As for looking cool, it doesn't really matter, I don't have a side window. It sits in a corner desk bridge between my two desks. I'd like a lighted setup, but where it sits, wouldn't do me much good.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Enermax, Toptower or Antec.

Though with the enermaxes you dont even have to get a whisper. I have a 550W non-whisper and its still extreemly quiet, well below the noise of anything else in my case.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well my new ram shows up today. Although I had to switch from OCZ to Corsair CMX256A-3500C2x2(OCZ is high demand right now) and the two places I tried to buy it from had it on backorder. The Corsair had the same aggressive timings and is a little cheaper. I'll just be glad, for over a week I've been chugging along with 128MB of ram and XP, due to my current corsair failure.

Still haven't selected a new PSU yet, but I'm thinking over the next two days that I have off I'll have one ordered.