Quiet server for home use?

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm looking to get a server that I can run my free pbx box off of, along with a few windows vms for gaming servers. Are there any cheap and quiet servers anyone can recommend?

May 24, 2019
My husband and I were looking for a home based server that could serve offer sufficient computing power and enough storage capacity. I'm a lecturer at one of College's here in Kansas where I teach graphical (animation) classes. Most of the time I have to render some of my projects at home and since my laptop couldn't handle that, we decided that we needed a server that could give us the functionalities we needed.

Since we needed a server for use a home, ideally we needed a quiet one, and so I asked one of my friends at work for recommendation. He recommended the DELL POWEREDGE T20 model, claiming he'd used it and it was super quiet. Sadly, I couldn't find it online.

So I decided that it was time to do the research myself. Upon doing a couple of google searches, I came across this website (https://andrewmat.com/quiet-server/).

The guy has recommended 7 different servers for home and small businesses each with varying prices. So my husband and I decided to give one of his recommendation a try, so we chose
HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

I know nothing much about servers but I can tell you that this was one of the most quiet server I've seen in my entire life. We set it up a few feet in our bedroom and it doesn't wake up my husband or kiddo when I'm rendering my projects late in the night. If you're looking for a quiet home server I would recommend the ProLiant Gen 10 or the PowerEdge t30 which is the new model for the t20.

I wish there was a way to attach videos to this post to show you how quiet this unit is. It's affordable and yet efficient.